PTC in Waterford

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Pilot Training College
Unverified User
Unverified User

PTC in Waterford

Post by Pilot Training College »

Hello everyone

Thanks for the lively dialogue on the topics above. The comments and suggestions about our website are well made and very welcome and we shall be taking action where necessary.

I shall attempt to deal with queries individually or here on the forum over the next few days.

Anyone requiring specific information in the meantime is welcome to email me at info@ptc.ie, or telephone 051 876706.

Darragh Owens
Pilot Training College of Ireland Ltd

Pilot Training College
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: PTC...

Stovepipe - hoping this clarifies a few things: PM me or phone me at 051876706 if you need more information. Cheers. D. Owens

Why is the PPL conducted at Weston

- The PPL can be done at Weston or here in Waterford, or you can join us with any JAA or ICAO PPL (e.g an FAA one). The CPL must be done in Waterford as it must be conducted at a field with ATC facilities.

Accommodation / transport

There is plenty of B&B and similar accommodation locally. Lifts to and from the airport are easy to obtain from other students or staff.

Night / after normal working hours?

When courses demand flying is conducted at night or outside normal hours at no extra charge.

Maintenance

Maintenance is carried out on site by a licensed engineer. We have four aircraft available.

financial protection

Students do not pay the entire course up front, but must maintain a credit balance of E 1000 in their account. Otherwise it is "pay as you go".

Examiners

All flight tests are carried out by IAA official examiners who are available on short notice at the end of each module or rating (usually within 48-72 hours). In practice we attempt to schedule test for the last day or the day after the completion of a module or rating.

Simulator

All training is conducted on aircrat at present.

Study area

We have briefing and conference rooms available for student study.

computer-based training

None at present though we will have in the near future.

Pupil-to-instructor ratio

About 4 to 1- less for those on intensive courses

multi-engine aircraft

One PA-44

written exam resits

We are not conducting ATPL theory ground training in-house at present - most students are going to other Irish GTOs.

If you would like to hear directly from current or past students on any of the above please let me know.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land »

PTC,

Thanks for the in-depth information. It's appreciated...

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob »

Got the info pack. Thanks.

For any sceptics of the add, I recommend e-mailing and have ptc send you an info pack it explains exactly how the the 46835 is got. It adds up the cost of all the modules, test fees, equipment etc. The 54 weeks again is on the bases of a full time bases I don't imagine it is likely anyone would get it completed in this timescale. It's just the minimal time taken to complete individual modules added up. You'd be in fifth gear the whole way with no slacking off, no bad look with weather and aircraft.

I recon you should stick all the info from the pack on the site, I don't understand why you keep this info off the web, it's a competitive package. The internet is free to update and easily accessable to most these days and it saves you the hassel of sending people out the info while paying for printing and postal.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land »

Yeah, their package has lot's of information. A valuable marketing tool, though, I don't believe enough people know about it's availability.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

PTC...

Post by stovepipe »

hallo there
Thanks for your reply, which is very comprehensive. Personally, I would rather see even a basic Frasca sim being available as it would save IFR students an awful lot of money to practise the basics in a cheap sim rather than an expensive aircraft. It would also keep students busy when the weather is unfit. More time spent in the sim would enable the student to get more out of each lesson in the aircraft. The fact that you have only one twin is unfortunate. It leaves you open to delays caused by unserviceability and means that training has to stop for other multi students when the twin is off on flight tests. I appreciate that twins are expensive creatures but surely it would justify buying another to increase the utility for the students and increase the school's flexibility.
I would urge you never to let students down by being less than honest to them about any failure or snag in the training system. If you suffer a problem, you should be absolutely honest with them at all times and if a problem is your fault, come out with your hands up and admit it. Irish flight training has been riddled for years with casual dishonesty and disrespect for the student. The goodwill you generate by treating your students as well as possible will be rewarded ten-fold.
All the best
S

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob »

I notice that in the pricelist the ppl is priced as using the piper, which is the complex aircraft. Would it be a any cheaper doing this ppl on the robin scene as this is the none complex aircraft. Or is there a reason why you'd do your ppl on this aircraft.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land »

Bob,

On the first price list I recieved from PTC, the aircraft stated was the Robin 160D for the PPL. When I recieved a revised prie list last May, the aircraft changed to a Piper PA28.

So, they had infact intended to use the Robin for the PPL module.

Pilot Training College
Unverified User
Unverified User

Guys we have changed the PPL training at EIWF to a PA-28-161 (fixed prop). The PA-28-RT (Variable prop and retractable gear) is used in complex and certain IR training. As always, please feel free to contact us directly, or come and visit, for any other info. I'm happy to clarify things occasionally here in the forum, but we don't want to use Mark's great site overmuch for "sales" patter.

D Owens

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob »

That's fair enough.

Just looking at the price list I see the difference "+5 hours PA28 Arrow."

Thanks for clearing it up anyway.