PTC in Waterford

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

on yer six
Unverified User
Unverified User

PTC in Waterford

Post by on yer six » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:25 pm

Thinking about doing a course here, anyone have an expertise???

Pilot Training College
Unverified User
Unverified User

Flight Training in Waterford

Post by Pilot Training College » Sat May 15, 2004 5:13 pm

We would be happy to put interested persons in touch with any of our existing students, to get a first hard report on our courses and facilities.

Anyone interested, please PM me, or call us on 051 876706. Email: info@ptc.ie

Thank you

Darragh Owens
Business Development Manager
Pilot Training College of Ireland Ltd

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

PTC...

Post by stovepipe » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:08 pm

Hallo there
Could you answer the following questions ,please? As an individual who has endured/enjoyed Irish flying establishments for quite a while now, I would be curious to see how some of the age-old pifalls are addressed.
!: Why is the PPL conducted at Weston, with it's expensive landing fees and parking charges and direct competition from the occupying school?
2: What are the arrangements for accomodation of students? Waterford city is quite a distance away from the airport.
3: What are the arrangements for transport of students? Are they expected to fend for themselves?
4: What are the arrangements for flying at night or after normal working hours? Are the students paying for this in their overall fees?
5: What arrangements have you for maintenance? Is it on or off-site? Is it sufficient to guarantee high serviceability rates for the aircraft? Do you have alternate aircraft available?
6: What financial protection do you have in place for your students? Do you have any kind of bond or insurance to protect them?
7: How do you provide examiners? How do you guarantee their attendance at your school?
8: Do you have a simulator or guaranteed access to one?
9: Do you have a quiet area where students can study in peace?
10: Do you have any computer-based training in your syllabus?
11: What is the pupil-to-instructor ratio?
12: How many multi-engine aircraft do you have?
13: Do you have a system in place where students who fail a written exam have a facility to resit them without too much time being lost?
I ask these questions because I have found Irish schools to fail or be substandard in these areas.
regards
S

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:59 pm

Great questions. Be interesting to see what answers he comes back with. I have another one though;

Who does PTC use for their MCC course?

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:23 pm

It's on their site, they use Avtec. Don't know anything about them.

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:27 pm

They don't give much away on there website with reference to costs training facilitys equipment ect. It certainly leaves a lot to the imagination

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:22 pm

Guys, you should really read the 2nd posting from Darragh Owens and give him a call if interested.

Although a website is good for advertising your product, you should really talk or visit a product that is going to cost so much dough !!

I'm not affiliated with PTC or SkyTrace in anyway !!

Get on the blower and axe some questions !!

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:34 am

I completly agree that you you should go to a place to check it out and not just rely on a website for information. The only thing I'll say though is that with the web being so accessable to people these days, it makes it much easier to compare places and get a better grasp of what they offer. If they had the frequently asked questions answered on the site and a few pictures showing off the place it might be a more effective advertising tool for the school, especially for people from abroad who are trying to get an idea of the place.
I know for myself the website is the thing that gets my attention a lot of the time.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:14 am

Totally agree with you Bob on your last comment. If a web site cannot provide me with simple but vital information which is easy to find then I have no interest in browsing that site. The whole point of a web site is the get the customer interested...to make them want to hand over their money right there and then with enough information provided to make that decision.

Nearly all flight training web sites go on about "maintaining a high level of professionalism", "ensuring everybody achieves their full potential",
"pre-fligh/post-flight briefings", "the same instructor" etc etc etc...

WE KNOW ALL THAT!

tell us about the accomodation, transport, food, the local area, quiet study place, getting to and from the airport, a typical students day, dress code while studying at the college etc etc etc

For me PTC doesnt address the above questions well enough (they do answer some). This is bad because they are so important to a student.

Probably harsh, buts thats my view n anyways

november.sierra
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by november.sierra » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:04 pm

Their website certainly leaves a lot to the imagination and having asked for more information early last week I still haven't had anything back from them.

In addition to the questions already asked on the thread earlier, here is what I would like to know, maybe someone who's in the know can fill me in while waiting for a reply.

1. Is the figure of 46,835 Euros, as I understand it, the final figure from no flying experience to fATPL, and if not, what sort of costs would have to be added to this figure for the approximate total?

2. Is the advertisement for an integrated course or is it modular and is the 54 week timescale realistic given Irish weather being the way it is?

3. What would a typical week look like for someone on the above advertised course including classroom sessions, flying lessons, etc.

4. Are there specific start dates for the course or can it be started whenever?

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: PTC...

Post by Clrd2Land » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:55 pm

stovepipe wrote:8: Do you have a simulator or guaranteed access to one?

They have a FNPTII Seminole cockpit approved for training, IR renewals and revalidations.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:00 pm

november.sierra wrote:1. Is the figure of 46,835 Euros, as I understand it, the final figure from no flying experience to fATPL, and if not, what sort of costs would have to be added to this figure for the approximate total?

2. Is the advertisement for an integrated course or is it modular and is the 54 week timescale realistic given Irish weather being the way it is?

Striaght form the PTC Price List;

"The above programs are indicative only and are based on the student reaching Test standard in each ase based on the min. hours requirments"

"Test fees are not included in the above programs. Fees for liscence issua, medicals, renewalsetc, are not included in the above pricing"

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:14 pm

Why don't ye have a bash at NFC while your at it ?
They have not updated their website in a couple of years, once again, would you buy a car without test driving it and talking and meeting with the sales rep ??

I'm mean get a grip guys, it was only a couple of years ago when there wasn't websites and people had to do some donkey work when finding out about a service !!

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:17 pm

I know what your saying Mr. Bungle but with that many FTO's home and abroad it costs a lot to visit them all. What I'm saying is the internet in this day in age is probably one of the best ways to research FTO's and at this early stage of your search first impressions may be the decider in which schools you go and visit and hense fork out your 50 or 60,000 quid on.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

PTC and others...

Post by stovepipe » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:03 pm

hello again....
Your point is well taken, Mr.Bungle, but i would prefer to be as well informed as possible before I cross the Atlantic or whatever. In my experience, customer service, as practised in your average supermarket, is still considered a new and unfamiliar concept in some flight schools. Some schools seem to regard the flying punter as a necessary evil, merely as a source to be milked and given shoddy service. Remember, you have less protection as a customer in a flying school than as an ordinary shopper. The IAA are absolutely no help in this regard.
If PTC put up a price on their website, you can be absolutely certain that it is a minimum price and that the punter will spend far more. PTC's ad says "includes all fees and taxes". Paying the IAA's fees will add considerably to a student's final bill.The student shoould be briefed on this before he signs on for the course.
regards
S