Which Weston based school ?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:04 pm

I have had all my training at NFC, and have been lucky enough to have an instructor who is absolutely excellent - meticulous, precise, merciless at times but absolutely excellent. He knows exactly what I can and can't do well, and never lets me rest on my laurels, instead always pushing me on to the next level of difficulty.

I have never - not once in 55 bookings! - been bumped in favour of another customer. My only complaints are that it can be hard to get a booking (which is an inevitable consequence of their popularity) and that the lesson usually won't start on time (but on the good side, the instructor always gives me the time I need, both in the air and talking on the ground, rather than rushing off to the next student).

So the aeroplanes are old and look a bit battered - so what? They're perfectly flyable, and getting used to the idiosyncracies of old planes is very good training for the kind of flying most of us will be able to afford.

Maybe I just know no better, but my experience of the NFC is of a professionally-run organisation with a good friendly atmosphere, and that the teaching is top-class.

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:07 pm

hibby where are nfc located now? I was out there the other day and the building they used to be in now houses some other company...
Is it hard to get a midweek slot or just at weekends? Ive to do a few hours myself out there soon...

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Charlie Hotel Mike » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:19 pm

They're now in the portakabin's adjacent to the airport building on the southern ramp. They moved because the other building was zoned as residential.

shamrock/heavy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by shamrock/heavy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:22 pm

Charlie Hotel Mike. mmm wonder where you got that name. Is that your favorite NFC plane. I agree with all your saying in fact it sounds like you and i have the same instructor

Ceatach the best thing for you to do is the next time your out there book all your lessons for about a month, then when you are two weeks into that month book again for the following two weeks and so on. Never leave it intill the week before you will only be disappointed.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:49 pm

It's business as usual for the NFC in the prefab buildings. The real problem is the coffee shop has moved across to the new palace/airport terminal on the north side of the field, which is 5 minutes away by road.

So if you're hanging around there's nowhere to get a cup of coffee, to sit down and chat or read a magazine, to fill out a plog or read up on your next briefing, or just watch the planes take off and land. You have to sit in your own car or else outside if the weather is decent.

Actually I'm not even sure where there's a toilet now - at the weekend there was a notice on the door of the old house saying that it had been taken over by some company ("Clare Films" or something?) and is not open to the public.

shamrock/heavy, was that my post you were referring to, rather than Charlie Hotel Mike's?

Anyway, I doubt if CHM is anyone's favourite plane at the moment since it is horrendously underpowered and climbing out at only 200 fpm with 2 on board.

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Charlie Hotel Mike » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:25 pm

Yeah have agree about the performance of CHM,also the right tank CHM is blocked at the moment so there's no solo flying in it. Favourite plane would obviously have to be DGX but its down for its annual at the moment,i chose CHM for my name because its the plane i made my first solo in a year or so ago.

Hibby, just use the toilet in the airport building which you walk through to get airside.Also agree about the awkwardness of having the coffee shop over the farside of the airfield and i dont have a car, so i physically cant get around to the terminal unless i walk up that lethal road outside the airport.

on yer six
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by on yer six » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:55 pm

Oh my, 200fpm climb out, sounds like the cylinders are hit the ole', oh about 60 on the compression test. A tank that is blocked, its been a while but how can that be airworthy. No solo flying in it, how about NO flying in it. I may very well be off the mark here. someone please correct me. I've been around a few flight schools and flew plenty of bangers and alot of nice machines too, but never heard of anything like that. [/quote]

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:49 pm

hi,
i started my flyin with the NFC about 3.5 years ago and i found that the way they keep giving you a different instructor everytime a bit annoying. although the instructors are all great and very experienced there it still gets a bit annoying. when i started they didnt even have a sylabus!!

anyway i completed about 35-40 hours with them and then i changed to FLIGHTWISE to complete my training, flightwise was a totaly different atmosphere. everything was so organised and the instructors were great too.

The only thing about flightwise is that they have a membership fee every year- they used to charge ?500 anually. but now they do monthly installments of ?30-35!!!

Beleive me, you should at least go in and have a chat with adrian and youll see how much better it is than anywhere else.

the planes are kept in very good nick aswell and beleive it or not they actuall give ya free flyin if your lucky!!!!
YEAH FREE FLYIN: students there with a ppl can actually bring the plane from weston - kilrush for maintenance for free- about 1.5 hrs there and back!!!

i did it once and the sense of acheivement is great- you actually have a purpose- delivering the aircraft.

so go with FLIGHTWISE, the best by far, with quite reasonable per hour ?130.

Mike

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:05 pm

Michael747, check you PMs.

thunderbird-1
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by thunderbird-1 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:26 pm

Hi

Which school in Weston has a nice IFR aircraft, with at least an HSI ?
I would like to find a school not too far from Dublin and to fly IFR in order to keep training...

Many thanks, cheers

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:41 pm

Is there any instruction at Newcastle :?: