The lapsed PPL return to flying situation
  • Papa8
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

The lapsed PPL return to flying situation

by Papa8 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi everyone,

6 years ago I stopped flying having let my SEP class rating lapse. I would like to find the right place to prepare me once again for a flight test. I sat my test in a TB9 in EIKK and also flew the SF25C motor glider, Tecnam P2002JF, even a couple of hours in Rallyes and Citabria that was there while getting my license. I began in a Reims 150 Aerobat at EIAB but have never piloted a 172.

I had heard/read that EINC have helped many lapsed PPLs get back to the skill level required (and by all accounts it is a great place to fly and is not ruled out) but thought I would ask the forum what other location choices there might be. I contacted one PPL(A) flying club who, although polite, were not selling the idea really of joining them to do it. I will admit that mentioning the future plan to revalidate SEP on microlight aircraft made me wonder if that contributed to the disinterest from this PPL flying club but I think genuinely they were thinking they could not offer something quickly to me with their current hours of operation.

If I was able to book a few lessons at a time and stay overnight I was thinking I could get back to PPL test level in a fairly short manner. What has been other lapsed PPL pilots (recent) experience of doing this?

Waterford is an area and airport I became familiar with of course flying out of EIKK but could consider anywhere if able to book a 2-3 lessons each time I travelled.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: The lapsed PPL return to flying situation

by mark » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:49 am

Hi Papa8,

If you held a JAR/EASA licence in the past, I'd recommend going to a club or school to revalidate it. You have the option of renewing it as a National Licence which may be slightly cheaper but you'd be better off sticking with your EASA licence as it gives you more privileges. As you mentioned, you can do the hours on microlights and homebuilt aircraft to keep the SEP rating current - the only exception is that you can't do the 1-hour training flight for an SEP on a microlight.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Mark
  • Papa8
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Papa8 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:43 pm

Thanks Mark,

I came across a club where I can get lessons before revalidating my license that is a good fit for what I want to do and once I have the Class 2 medical in a couple of weeks I am getting back in the left hand seat. It is a JAR/EASA license. Also happened across the Squawk 7000 podcast you and others have been broadcasting only this week so listening to back episodes of that atm. It helps to hear all the lingo again! I don’t know if there are any other Irish aviation podcasts out there but thank you (and your co-host) for launching one.
    It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.
  • Aztec_Flyer
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Aztec_Flyer » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 pm

Waterford Aero Club can definitely help get you back in the air. They have three C172s, about a dozen instructors and it's very much a club rather than a school.

Jut let me know if you'd like any more information.