CPL Exam Validity for FI Rating

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

ois
Verified User
Verified User

CPL Exam Validity for FI Rating

Post by ois »

Hi all,

I'm considering starting the CPL theory exams as my main goal in flying is to gain an instructor rating. I don't foresee myself completing the FIC itself for at least another two years but like many others working in aviation I currently have an abundance of time. My interpretation of Part-FCL is that there is no need for the CPL exams to be valid (eg. 36 months for CPL issue), just completed.

FCL.915.FI

(2) hold at least a PPL(A) and have:
(i) met the requirements for CPL theoretical knowledge, except for an FI(A) providing
training for the LAPL(A) only

Is my interpretation correct? Seems pretty straightforward but would be interested to know if anyone has personal experience with this.

Cheers

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CPL Exam Validity for FI Rating

Post by mark »

Hi Ois,

I would agree with your interpretation - I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had a differing opinion? Just note that the wording of FCL.915.FI was updated recently and it now says:
(2) hold at least a PPL(A) and have:
(i) except for an FI(A) providing training for the LAPL(A) only, passed the CPL
theoretical knowledge examination, which may be taken without completing a CPL
theoretical knowledge training course and which shall not be valid for the issue of
a CPL; and
(ii) completed at least 200 hours of flight time on aeroplanes or TMGs, of which 150
hours as PIC;
It makes no difference to your query, but it will allow you to self-study for the exams. If this is the case, they won't be subsequently accepted for a CPL.

Is there a place you plan to instruct after you get your FI? If so, you should ask them if they offer the LAPL licence. If they did you can instruct for that without CPL knowledge. 98+% of General Aviation aircraft in Ireland can be flown on a LAPL. I really don't know why most people are still training for a PPL. I would invest your money (and time now) in getting a good quality instructor rating as this will stand to you more than doing CPL exams to meet the requirements of instructing for a PPL. If you subsequently did the CPL exams, you could then instruct for PPL.

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

ois
Verified User
Verified User

Re: CPL Exam Validity for FI Rating

Post by ois »

Hi Mark,

Great to hear you can now self-study for the CPL theory, makes sense if you're not actually going to gain a CPL out of it! I'd plan on instructing at my local club. Offering the LAPL isn't such a bad idea. Besides, if students are going on to ATPL level they can always upgrade to PPL afterwards.

Brgds,
Oisín