Digital Cameras?

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Digital Cameras?

Post by mark »

I'm thinking of investing in a new digital camera. Can anyone recommend a good one, pros/cons, price, lens, battery power etc.

MTIA,
Mark

dc3
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dc3 »

Very much depends on how much you have to spend but my suggestion is to look hard at the Canon SLR's, which offer three or more models .

Any websearch will turn up extensive reviews of the models below and there are useful comments on the Airliners website too, with an aviation focus.

The EOS 1D - which is really for the soul who can hire a Lear to go shopping. Pro level equipment.

The EOS10 D - an excellent camera to use, very high specs. However as sold comes with no lenses whatever, so it helps with the pain if you already use Canon equipment. Need to add several large capacity CF cards too. Batteries are expensive too.

EOS 300 D - latest and cheapest variant, like the 10D cut down a bit, getting excellent reviews but may be hard to find in the shops.

There is a good new Nikon SLR out there too but no personal knowledge.

If you want a more compact camera without SLR facility, there is such a huge choice it is harder to comment. It might , however, be more useable as an SLR tends to get left at home a lot.

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

I have to agree. I got my first digital camera about two years ago, so obviously it's long out of production and I can't comment on current product ranges other than generally.

Digital cameras come in three flavours - consumer, 'prosumer' and professional. Consumer level are the ones you see in shop windows everywhere. Professional are top-end SLRs and the like. I bought a Fuji prosumer model and it has proved a very handy compromise.

First off it's a lot sheaper than a professional model. Secondly, it's a lot smaller, so I can wander around with on my holdiays without developing backache or people thinking I am compensating for a shortfall in my anatomical endowment.

If it looks like another toy camera, people are also less likely to nick it.

The Fuji has an 8x optical zoom which is an important feature to look out for if you're planning to photograph anything smaller than an Airbus. It has 2.1 megapixels which is small by current standards, but still perfectly adequate for A4 prints. The shots I have submitted to this site have actually been manually degraded in Photoshop to get them into the size and format that the UK CAA's register photobook insists on.

It has a 256MB card which will generally take about 230 shots before filling up. If you go for a higher pixelcount, your capacity will reduce accordingly (as will the free space on your hard drive unless you burn off to CD regularly - but you didn't buy this toy just to increase the administrative workload did you?)

ppl_student
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ppl_student »

Try going into Dixons, bought mine a year ago and the staff were very helpfull in finding the right camera for me.
PPL Student

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

...and if you're in that area of town, I got mine at Pixels in Liffey Street and found them thoroughly helpful also.

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

Mark,

I would definetly recommend either the Canon EOS 300D
or the Nikon D 70
both are the cheapest Digital SLR models available on the market. They are getting reasonably good reviews.
As for a lens, if you already have a film SLR and the lens is compatible with the Canon or Nikon System then they will do fine. A range of about 75-300mm will suit you grand, and is also what I use.
Rather than spending thousands on a Camera body, really invest your money in a good quality lens as this is what gives the results.
I don't know any Dublin based retailers but you can get them way way cheaper in Britain or better yet America. Go to
www.jessops.com
or
www.amazon.com
Regards,
Aidan

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Thanks guys. I would prefare to go for a Canon model as I have two lenses for my Canon EOS3000 but we'll see how far the budget will stretch!!
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

Mark,

An EOS 300D body only retails for about ?1000 in Britain.
Canon are a very good choice of make.
The bst of luck with your purchase.
Regards,
Aidan

ppl_student
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ppl_student »

Just checked today and in dixons in newry the EOS300d is ?799 for body only or ?849 with lense
PPL Student

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Digital Cameras

Post by shrtfld »

Hi All

Do I understand correctly from this thread that the Canon EOS 300 digital camers is compatable with the lenses I use with my SLR? I use a Canon EOS 300 SLR with 28/80mm and 75/300mm zooms.

I was about to go shopping for a digital and had wanted to stay with Canon.

Thanks for any advice.

Shrtfld

:?: :?:
Shrtfld

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

Yeah. All EOS lenses will work with other models including digital. In fact the length of the lens will magnified on a digital body. A 28-90mm lens would be like a 50-140 on a digital SLR. So your 75-300mm will be much bigger.
Regards,
Aidan

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Digital

Post by shrtfld »

Hi Frosty / Aidan

Thanks for info. I am not very technically minded so the advice is much appreciated. Sounds as if this is what I am looking for. Interesting the guys I spoke to about the Canon in the retail outlet said nothing about compatibility or the need to get lenses for the 300d. They were pushing some other makes at me.

Obviously the EOS 300d is the way to go unless I am otherwis dissuaded.

Kind regards
Shrtfld

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

The only problem with it is that you have to get the 18-55mm (or something) lens with it to get a wide angle shot of a landscape etc.
Its confusing, I know. But thats the problem trying to compare digi with film! :!:
Regards,
Aidan

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Hi,

I know this thread is 100 years old but i'm looking for a good camera to start off,
I've only ever had a good camera phone until now.....
But as you can see from this pic, it's not a bad phone
http://flyinginirelandmagazine.com/phot ... =10&pos=31

I was looking at the Nikon D40 SLR!

This one: http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... kfrom=name

Would this be a good enough camera to start off with??
At ?500 its exactly what i set off to spend!

How far does it zoom?

It says 3 times optical zooooom..

And how much would a good lens be for it if it doesn't zoom far enough?

Mainly want it for air - ground photos, and airshows etc. etc..!

Thanks for all your help in advance guys gals
Regards,
M747
:D

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

have you bought anything yet ? I've got a couple of thoughts
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie