Baggage travelling without passenger.....

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

jomcc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Baggage travelling without passenger.....

Post by jomcc » Wed May 20, 2009 10:19 am

Hello, I've asked this question on another forum and answers confirmed what I thought. Perhaps someone here might know more.

Just wondering what's the story with baggage on flight. Was to fly with Ryanair yesterday. Arrived with almost 2 hours to spare. As I had checked in online, I dropped off my baggage at checkin desk.
Due to my own fault, I missed the flight. Stupidly, I was sitting at wrong gate. When I realised it, the stairs were being pulled from the plane. My question is that for security reasons, I thought baggage could not travel without a passenger. Previously, I've often heard warnings that if passenger did not turn up, baggage would be removed. Now with online checking, it's obviously difficult to know if passengers are on flight or not. Have these rules changed or am I wrong in thinking they were in force at any time?

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed May 20, 2009 11:37 am

Hi there,
The aircraft should not go with a bags-passenger mismatch, under any circumstances. The load supervisor should reconcile the bag tags with the head count on his loadsheet and spot immediately if a bag is being loaded with no corresponding pax to match it. You bag would then be taken off and routed back to the baggage hall. From there, it would go in the airline's lost/delayed bags area/lost property area and you would ahve to go to their customer service desk to reclaim it.
regards
Stovepipe

jomcc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jomcc » Wed May 20, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks for that,
That's what I expected.
Bags definitely did travel in my case and were collected at lost baggage in Dublin yesterday.
When we realised that we made a cock up and missed the flight, we asked a policeman what would happen with our bags and were told that they would probably be able to be picked up in Dublin. We then went to handling agents who said they would arrange for them to be left at lost baggage. At this stage, the flight still had not taken off.
As it turned out, all worked out fine and we got home with bags. Obviously, I must not look like an Osama but, it certainly doesn't give much confidence in Airline Security.
Lucky they managed to seize my tube of toothpaste, and discovered my camera is not a 007 secret weapon though.
At this stage should I let someone know this happened or just mind my own business and be thankful I got home safe and sound.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Wed May 20, 2009 10:09 pm

I was under the impression it was the Captains final decision to delay the flight due to offloading baggage?

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dara » Thu May 21, 2009 10:15 am

Nope, never travel with a bag, no decision needed, we even have a delay code for it! Someone messed up big time in this case
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

ADDICT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ADDICT » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm

ya that sounds like a major mess up...and i think it should be regarded as a massive security breach...alarm bells would start ringing in my head if a paz was missing but bags onboard?!?

this a case of ryanair been in a hurry again???thats all good and well till somethin happens...see how many people fly with ryanair after that,when they realise ryanair cant even wait to check out a possible high risk bag/package on board!!

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jomcc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jomcc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Taking into consideration the speculation that the Air France Disaster could possibly be due to explosion, it does not seem right that our bags travelled without ourselves.
What kind of security checks do checked in baggabe go through after leaving the passenger. Is it similar to carry on baggage?

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jomcc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jomcc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 pm

My apologies if I cause any offense to anybody in mentioning the tragic accident with Air France........it certainly is not intented. I'm certainly not one to listen to rumours etc and my post may have been taken out of context.

Suppose, I'm really confused with regard to position with regard to my baggage travelling without me. Some people seem to say it's an absolute no no.......others say it happens from time to time. I asked here because I thought I might get some informed comment.
Again, I apologise if my previous post was inappropriate.

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:05 pm

It's supposed to be a strict no-no, that came about in the aftermath of Lockerbie.
Investigators also discovered that an unaccompanied bag had been routed onto PA 103, via the interline baggage system, from Luqa airport on Air Malta flight KM180 to Frankfurt, and then by feeder flight PA 103A to Heathrow. This unaccompanied bag was shown at the trial to have been the suitcase that contained the bomb.

Even at that time there were regulations in place which should have meant that this couldn't have happened but it was found that this practice was regularly overlooked and PanAm recieved massive fines as a result.