Wanted - Hand Held Scanner

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

Bump
Unverified User
Unverified User

Wanted - Hand Held Scanner

Post by Bump »

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has a scanner for sale.

Thanks,

Bump

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

personally try the net. go to aesham http://www.aesham.com/ ,they have a huge collection,i bought a yaesu vr500 in the states for 199 dollars and priced one here when i got back at 350 euros!! it goes from 100kHz ti 1.3GHz,i really recommend it.
HF is my new interest,just waiting to get a basic antenna before i go haywire and set up something proper.
115 VAC @400Hz

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Jasus you got a good deal there Mick,
That VR500 is €500 in Dublin....

http://www.cqcomms.com/scanners.htm
It's about half way down the page

Looks like a good buy
Regards,
M747
:D

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Regards,
M747
:D

Bump
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bump »

Thanks for the replies, but I believe there's one in the post to me as we speak :wink:

Just as a matter of interest though, do you know where you can get the little microphone covers locally here? I ripped mine last week and even with the squelch set right down it's picking up everything. The pilot shop is selling them for silly money, same in the UK, and with the shipping charges added it seems a ludicrous price for a bit of sponge!

Bump

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

what you order bump?? please say it covers HF

im going to order a basic hf antenna for mine for the moment,at the moment i've got thin 20 or 25 thou(cant remember)copper wirelock wrapped around the crappy rubber duck antenna and it makes a BIG difference compared to on its own

bump,try any shop that sells headsets for pc's,even buy a cheap one from game and take off the sponge
115 VAC @400Hz

daveyb
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by daveyb »

Hi Guys,

I bought a vertex 710 transceiver from the US including a 220 v charger for 240 euro including shiping about 600 euro here

My headset which is a David Clark cost me about a 170 euro.

I think buying in from the US is the way to cut down on costs while training here in Ireland.

Bump
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bump »

DR, it's a Uniden Bearcat or something... I think... :roll:
What mods did you make to the antenna for better reception.. just the wire? I have some copper wire here, not sure what gauge though - does it have to be grounded?

As for buying stuff in the US, well, it's much cheaper, but the shipping costs are still stupid - makes sense though if you're buying something expensive.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

bearcats are a mighty scanner,does it cover HF 2-30MHz on Upper SideBand?? well me scanner cost nothing on postage caus i bought it in orlando when on hols.

for all scanning other than HF i use a diskone located in the attic,i simply dont have time to set it up properly ie. mounted outside and buy low loss cable,

the copper wire is just a short term mod for a bit better reception,mine is very thin wire,size 16 or 18 maybe wrapped around the helical antenna and the rest going out the window!! alternatively i googled a homemade hf antenna using a biscuit tin lid and its not too bad,
however im just getting a hf antenna from the UK from waters and stanton 27 yoyo inc post.just ordering it.
115 VAC @400Hz