Life Jackets on Airlines WHY?

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Mount Leinster Ranger

Life Jackets on Airlines WHY?

Post by Trigger »

Why are there Life jackets under your seat ????

When has a commercial airliner sucessfully ditched on water and had the passengers exit out on the slides.
Aircrafts disintegrate when they hit the water !! remember the famous footage of the hijacked plane landing off the beach !!! That's what happens. :shock:
I used to crack up when I saw the sketch on the airline safety card (located in the pocket in front of your seat) with the 747 floating in the Ocean with its slides out like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang :shock:
With regard to the "In the unlikely event of the plane landing in water..." speech, why not be honest and say "in the 5 million to one chance that we sucessfully land and float, please bear with us while we tell ye all what to do" :?
Or
Loose the stupid jacket, and give em helmets, or parachutes !!

Cabin Crew get irate when demonstrating the life jacket whistle and light and how to tie it, when no one is listening...I dont blame them but I think there is an inbuilt brain shutter that closes when something stupid is being lectured. The brain is sublimely saying " Listen I chose and paid to get in this pressurised tube to be hurtled 6 miles high across the sky at 500mph, therefore I know the risks and the outcomes, and as for us landing in water with whistles and light assisted flotation devices....now please gimme a break. Billy Connolly once asked a pertinent question.......You are on a flight from London to Glasgow....the plane is going down, and you have a life jacket ????? does everyone shout up at the pilot "Jeeze Jimmy aim for a puddle will ya?"

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by dara »

I suppose the fact that over 50 people survived that hi jacked plane hitting the water has nothing to do with it? Or if the plane over runs the runway and ends up in water, little things like that maybe.....?
I for one am glad they're there anyway.
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Post by Zyox »

Insurance.
::: Image :::

Irish251
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by Irish251 »

This is an accident involving a jet airliner where lifejackets saved lives:

http://www.super70s.com/Super70s/Tech/A ... (Antillean).asp

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Mount Leinster Ranger

Post by Trigger »

All those accidents 100's 1000's maybe ?, and the best you can come up with is two ?? :shock:
Yet 90% of the safety briefing involves how to put on a life jacket, and use the whistle and light ??

Come on a few more at least ? :roll:

Xacto
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:26 am

Post by Xacto »

Rather than wear my fingers out typing when someone else has done all the work already;
Here is a link for you.
Study it carefully including all sub-links.
Then follow this link.
Happy reading!

Xacto.

Irish251
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by Irish251 »

You are right that it is a very rare event but if you'd been on one of these flights you might regard lifejackets as a worthwhile provision:

Tuninter ATR-72, Aug 2005: http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view ... e=Tuninter

F27 Manila Bay Nov. 2002: http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view ... e=Tuninter

Boeing 727, Florida 1978: http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 19780508-1

JAL DC-8, SFO, Nov. 1968: http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 19681122-0

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Mount Leinster Ranger

Post by Trigger »

Xacto, Irish251, !!
I read the Wikipedia stats, and have to say many of them landed/ditched in SHALLOW water, the hijacked plane passengers held onto a floating wing!! As for the pprune extract, a bit self congratulatory, and not a little patronising I thought but....I'm not advocating not listening to safety briefing in fact as a result of me listening I've questioned their effectivness and also their relevance....it's the life jacket briefing that I have the problem with....why such an emphasis on a miniscule eventuality. Why not have flame retardent balaclavas to put on, anti fire gel,why not have gas masks, helmets, also Irish 251 your accounts also point towards shallow water landings, in one of them the plane was returned to service !!!
I'm not now and will never be convinced of their effectiveness and or their over emphasised importance, and I know some of you out there are saying "love to see him headin for the uisce mor and he'll be grabbin underneath the seat like a mad lad, hope there's not one there when he looks"
True maybe, but you know something people I honestly think we could emphasise some other form of safety apparatus in our briefings, that's more relevant :shock:

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by dara »

There are many other safety items on aircraft, the reason you don't hear about them is that its the crews job to use them as they are fully trained in fire fighting, ditching drills and other accidents before they start working on board aircraft,
if you dont agree, though luck, the rest of the planet thinks its such a good idea its the law
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Mount Leinster Ranger

Post by Trigger »

if you dont agree, though luck, the rest of the planet thinks its such a good idea its the law


A bit of a sweeping statement there Dara I'd say, and anyway if no one questioned the law or laws then what a sorry state we'd find ourselvs in.

As a P2 pilot I'd rather question and check a P1 decision rather than accept it cause he/she's the law.

Right now we're still donning life jackets, and have been since commercial aviation took to the skies, in all the huge advances in aviation technology, the only advance is that they are inflatable by pulling a cord, and carry a whistle and light, maybe just maybe if someone put up their hand and questioned this we might have a more effective/relevant aparatus to help us.

To use your words

if you dont agree, though luck,



maybe you are right but I suggest that this time the tough luck is on all of us.........the punters. :(

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Mayo

Post by ifty »

Trigger wrote:maybe you are right but I suggest that this time the tough luck is on all of us.........the punters. :(


Eh?? how is it tough luck on the "punters"? :?

Trigger wrote:in all the huge advances in aviation technology, the only advance is that they are inflatable by pulling a cord


How else do you sugest inflating them? or what would you replace them with?


I fail to see any reason for this whole discussion.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Mount Leinster Ranger

Post by Trigger »

ifty !

If you bothered to read what I said it's perfectly clear.
Eh?? how is it tough luck on the "punters"?


I'm not going to repeat myself, but
Fly by wire....Concorde....Mega top Jumbo's.....A380.

All huge leaps in technology from the early airliner.
YET
The earlier and our advances mentioned above all require what ifty ?
Dats riet....Life Jackets, have they changed with the same advances?
Oh Yes instead of them being made of cork, they now can inflate themselvs by pulling on the cord ! and if you happen to be in the ocean you have a whistle and light.
I am being poo pooed by all you posters, for doing what ? for simply pointing out that I for one think they need a rethink !!
If someone like me had questioned their effectiveness while all the technological advances were happening, who knows what we might have now as a safety aparatus. :idea:
Hence who looses out on what might have been ifty ? Dats rite the punter looses out

I fail to see any reason for this whole discussion.


My point exactly !! What an arrogant stance, how dare anyone like me question or query what is accepted as the norm or God forbid as Dara said THE LAW. :o

This forum is for discussion and also allow someone air their views, however strange or pointless it may seem to you. Yes I'm getting urined off. at the arrogant dissmissive replies, but I've made a career of out questioning designs and am doing nicely thanks :x

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Mayo

Post by ifty »

Hmmmm,

Maybe you could enlighten me by answering a couple of questions rather than just repeating the same stuff

1, Who is arrogant?
2, What do you suggest life jackets are replaced with?
3, What is your point to this whole thing?
4, and I still dont understand why its tough luck on the punters? Is it because it is aged technoloogy or because it wont work?

As for it being law yes it is (only IIRC the flight goes beyond 50 miles from coast), however do you question every law or just ones you dont like/agree with?

Like I say I fail to understand the relevance of this discussion lifejackets are there, use them or dont its your choice I guess.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Mount Leinster Ranger

Post by Trigger »

1, Who is arrogant?

You to say this is an irrelevant discusssion, it's not to me OK?
2, What do you suggest life jackets are replaced with?

I NEVER said replace, leave them there,I want something more relevant to saving a life or limb.
3, What is your point to this whole thing?

I am suggesting that Life Jackets are in the main useless in an emergency, and given far too much emphasis, because they have always been accepted as the life saver, in an aircraft emergency.
4, and I still dont understand why its tough luck on the punters? Is it because it is aged technoloogy or because it wont work?

It's tough luck because they have not advanced this safety area as much as they advanced the avionics and aircraft.

however do you question every law or just ones you dont like/agree with?

Every Law...thankfully, but in this case I unfortunately aired the question on a forum, where I expected civility, but instead got this wave of ridicule.

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Mayo

Post by ifty »

trigger wrote:You to say this is an irrelevant discusssion, it's not to me OK?


I never said it was irrelevant I said I fail to see the point of this discussion and you are not doing an awful lot to convince me that there is a point to it.


trigger wrote:I NEVER said replace, leave them there,I want something more relevant to saving a life or limb.


OK I ask again what do you want that is more relevant then?

trigger wrote:It's tough luck because they have not advanced this safety area as much as they advanced the avionics and aircraft.


What about seatbelts then should they be replaced with 4/5 point harnesses?

trigger wrote:but in this case I unfortunately aired the question on a forum, where I expected civility, but instead got this wave of ridicule.


From what I have read no one has ridiculed you mearly asked some questions if you take that as ridicule thats unfortunate.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

Post Reply