Trips from U.S. - 1960s

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

JohnBonaccorsi
Unverified User
Unverified User

Trips from U.S. - 1960s

Post by JohnBonaccorsi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:53 am

I have been directed to this forum by Byron Smith, HASOI Chairperson, whom I contacted via e-mail. He has told me the forum might be a good place to obtain some information I would like to have as I work on a family history.

My grandmother, who emigrated to the U.S. from County Mayo in 1907, returned to Ireland for what seem to have been two visits, both of them in the 1960s. She accompanied her sister, who made a total of four trips. At least one of the four trips -- quite possibly the first -- was on Aer Lingus; and at least one began at John F. Kennedy International Airport, in New York.

I am interested to know the opinions of this forum's members as to the airlines and aircraft that were likely involved. Because I don't know how much, if any, of the information I will use in my history, I certainly don't want anyone to do great research; still, as I say, I will appreciate your views.

According to my grandmother's sister's old passports (preserved by her daughter), data re the four trips are these:

Trip 1:

Arrive Shannon Airport - 29 June 1964
Back in U.S. (New York) - 25 July 1964

Trip 2:

Arrive Dublin Airport - 16 July 1966
Back in U.S. (Philadelphia) - 21 August 1966

Trip 3:

Arrive Shannon Airport - 13 July 1969
Back in U.S. (New York) - 3 August 1969

Trip 4:

Arrive Dublin Airport - 5 August 1971
Back in U.S. (New York) - 7 September 1971

I would guess "New York" always means JFK International.

My grandmother's sister had no qualms about flying Aer Lingus, for each of its planes was named after a saint. I don't know when Aer Lingus began naming its planes that way, but a quick internet search has given me the impression it is still naming them so.

Again -- I certainly don't want anyone to trouble himself or herself; but I will appreciate your thoughts about the airlines and aircraft involved.

John Bonaccorsi
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

P.S. I have said my grandmother's trips were in the 1960s because, at the moment, the trips she made seem probably to have been "Trip 2" and "Trip 3" above.

Parasite Drag
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Parasite Drag » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi John,

If it was Aer Lingus then the first three flights would have been on B707 or B720. In 1971 it could have been B707, B720 or B747.

Like these:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aer-Ling ... 0257023/M/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aer-Ling ... 0244140/M/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aer-Ling ... 0251985/M/

JohnBonaccorsi
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JohnBonaccorsi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:50 am

Hi Parasite Drag --

Thank you for your helpful reply, including the links to the photographs of those handsome planes. The information will help me give my grandparents' descendants some sense of the period in which my grandmother was making the trips.

If you won't mind a follow-up question: Was the "Shannon Stopover" required for the two trips that ended in Dublin (1966 and 1971)? Does that depend on the airline involved?

Parasite Drag
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Parasite Drag » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi John, glad to be of help. On your question about the Shannon stopover, yes, all airline flights to/from the US from Dublin in the 60's and 70's had to stop over at Shannon.

JohnBonaccorsi
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JohnBonaccorsi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:24 pm

Thank you again, Parasite Drag; very helpful.

Though born in the 1890s -- before the airplane -- my grandmother lived to fly by jet to see her childhood home in Ireland; so if I succeed in communicating this information, her descendants should receive a story of an interesting century.