Cork Radar Control

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Cork Radar Control

Post by Dutch Roll »

when is this being moved to be controlled from dublin?? following Shannon approach which i think is up there about a year,can anyone confirm this??
anyone also see the new SID/STARS for cork??
115 VAC @400Hz

oldvolvotincan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by oldvolvotincan »

Shannon app is in dublin 14 months or so.

Cork app to follow when CRK twr is complete and ready for use.

Aidan Disney
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Aidan Disney »

Sorry to bump the thread but I just have a quick question ...

Im located in Dublin, South Dublin, So if I tuned 121.4, I wouldnt hear the pilots but would I hear the controller on Shannon APP ?

I'd try only i dont have my scanner at the min !
Aidan Disney

zulu10
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by zulu10 »

No you wouldnt. The transmitter is located in SNN with the controller in Dub with todays technology in between. Doubt youll hear the pilots either. VHF transmission is line of sight.

kirwan27
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kirwan27 »

Ah you probably would get a few pilots, I can get planes up in Dublin and I'm in Carnmore....

georgeconna
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by georgeconna »

Hi all,

I have seen a New Radar Installation on the West Side of Cork, Does anyone know is this for extra coverage for SNN or is it just for Cork APP. It looks fairly big site for local radar Coverage?

cheers

George.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

ya i saw a pic of it,a comms repeater like the one in schull and woodcock hill,as cork app will be done from dub this is prob something to do with it.

aidan you will hear the pilot side,depending on weather etc,
yes zulu VHF is line of sight but with weather patterns and high pressure,radio waves do very strange stuff,
when theres high pressure + good weather i can pick up both the controller in shannon and a/c on the High level frequencies from cork city and thats with mountains in the way,also have picked up london ctl controller + a/c comms.
i have no prob picking up pilot comms from ireland,london at high level and even low level dub app a/c side from cork,say if the a/c is approaching from the south
115 VAC @400Hz