Dublin Airport Plans

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

Tonybwf
Unverified User
Unverified User

Dublin Airport Plans

Post by Tonybwf » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi all,

just picked this up off the net

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/A ... index.html
Regards
Tony

?The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.?

Akerosid
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Akerosid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:42 pm

Thanks Saturn5.

It is interesting that out of ?2b being invested by the DAA in airport facilities, none is going into air cargo facilities.

Singapore Airlines Cargo, the only airline serving DUB from Asia, is to stop the route from January 5th. For a country which should be gaining a better foothold in Asia, this is a very retrograde step. Of course, it's not the govt's responsibility; nothing is.

Tonybwf
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re...

Post by Tonybwf » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi akerosid,

Can you tell me why there cancelling the Dub-Asia route? Ye its typical of the government to say that.....PASS THE BOOK ATITUDE...!!
Regards
Tony

?The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.?

Akerosid
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Akerosid » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi Saturn5, very sorry about the delay in responding.

I've heard various versions; the initial report suggested that it was due to declining loads and yields, although other reports suggested that loads were quite good recently.

I understand that SQ Cargo is to start a BRU-US route shortly, so that's where our aircraft will go.

While one can understand, to some extent, if the loss of the route is due to declining loads, it is a serious concern that after God knows how many years of Asia Strategy reports and ministerial/Taoiseach's trips to Asia on trade missions, we're losing our only link to the region; the trend is in the wrong direction. Particularly with fears of an economic downturn, we need to get our links to this region sorted out.

Of course, having decent cargo facilities and a longer runway at DUB wouldn't hurt either, but I don't see that happening; the interest simply isn't there at government level.

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:29 am

I think you will find Belguim and Holland are the Logistic capitals of the EU in terms of warehousing and distribution and their regional airports have adapted by making themselves cargo hubs even Brussels is the European HQ of DHL. I worked here for Creative Labs of Singapore and we used that cargo flight a lot but Creatives operation is on it'd last legs here so maybe it is a loss of business

Tonybwf
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re..

Post by Tonybwf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:45 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies chaps, we seem to lose out all the time with the government when it comes to aviation...like i was in shannon spottn last sunday and only for the troop carriers it would be a quiet airport, i know longer range jets and all that didnt help but it was a busier airport a couple of years ago...polar air cargo is there with a 747 an atlas air 747 cargo...its probably only going to get quieter if nothings done...shame on them fat-cats in leinster house
Regards
Tony