Plane sinks into Derry runway

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:13 pm

Thursday, 9 August 2007 13:08
An investigation is under way after a plane sank into tarmac while waiting on a runway at the City of Derry Airport.

Passengers on board yesterday's flight from Salou, Spain, were driven away from the aircraft and the jet was eventually able to power itself free.

Earlier this year, the airport was closed by the Civil Aviation Authority over safety concerns, including runway subsidence.

AdvertisementAn airport spokeswoman said: 'While the aircraft was stationary, it settled into the tarmac for a time and was subsequently manoeuvred to the main area of the airport to allow passengers to board the outbound flight to Salou/Reus, which departed at 17.36 hours last night.'

The inbound service, carrying 180 passengers, had been sitting on a remote runway for 30 minutes after landing because of other traffic at the airport.

Passengers on the outbound flight to Salou were delayed for a short period.

A spokesman from the Civil Aviation Authority said: 'We are fully aware of the situation and our inspectors will be in touch with the airport.

'The situation now is that we are awaiting the full safety report from the airport on what happened and will be taking it from there.'

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:02 am

Heard this on the news, then my dad said he thought one of his assoc's was heading up to investigate, it gets worse... not letting the tarmac set...