Aer Lingus

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Aer Lingus

Post by Clrd2Land » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:07 am

Came across this;

http://www.rte.ie/business/2004/0702/aerlingus.html

Could privatisation be on the cards? :shock:

Dublin Spotter
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dublin Spotter » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:45 pm

I hope it does mean some sort of Privatisation. This way Aerlingus may actually get some real outside investment.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Aer Lingus

Post by stovepipe » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:12 am

Hi all
As an employee of Aer Lingus, I have to say that I am unenthused about WW's desire to float the company, under his MBO proposal. I believe it would involve more extensive staff cuts, more "yellow-packing" of staff terms and conditions(except the pilots) and a further "Ryanair"-isation of the company. This is purely driven by WW's desire to enrich himself. He wants to flog us off and get a big slice for himself before he heads off to some other company. As for the pilots' alleged desire to buy out the company, I wouldn't want to work for them. My terms and conditions are very inferior to theirs and it would only get worse.The pilot ranks gave up the least, in terms of job cuts and alteration of conditions,than any other staff grade,during the last round of cuts, to help make the company profitable. Their interests are not mine.
If the company has to be floated, then it should be on terms that allow the least-paid to make some kind of credible gain before their jobs are wiped out.
end of rant
regards
S

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:12 pm

While I'm only voiceing my opinion, I think that everybody needs to wake up and get used to the idea that airlines like Ryanair are the future. Here in the USA these,(low frills) airlines are slowly dictating what the industry should be doing, and as far as I can see the majors have no option but to follow suit. As far as job security and conditions are concerned, thoes things are a thing of the past also. These senerios can be attributed to the general public at large, who for the most part, are just interested in getting from A to B as quickly and saftely as possible. They dont care about the frills,flying, who gets paid what,job conditions etc....its all about the price of a seat.There is the bottom line. Euros, pennies, dollars and cents....Money talks....need I say more.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:26 pm

RV,

Aer Lingus is now considered as a "low cost" airline, they are not so much a major anymore. They are getting closer and closer to Ryanair's type of no frills operation.