Aerfort Atha Cliath New Peir D

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

gar787
Unverified User
Unverified User

Aerfort Atha Cliath New Peir D

Post by gar787 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:34 pm

Dublin Airport have today (thursday 20/sept05) announced their plans for a 1.2bn redevelopment of the airport including a new peir to releive stress on the existing terminal it will be operational in 2009 (4 years) a short time for an Irish construction project in my view. it will increase the ability to manage 18 million passengers to 30m passengers yearly.Ulick McEvaddy said he will continue with his plans for a new terminal(whatever that means).Ryanair are not best to pleased about the 50% increase in charges to fund the new project.views.please;

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:43 pm

Not having a go but just wondering why people post a lot of irrelevant stuff in this forum lately.
eg, stalls belongs in student forum
air corps news in the air corps
this and the bird strike thing belong in commercial aviation
etc...
Ye are gonna end up making work for mark... :shock:

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:13 pm

Have to agree with your comment Ceatach. There are no less than 10 commercial aviation matters appearing on the top half of page one of this forum (Aer Lingus fares, leg room on jets, euromanx, aer arann etc etc and even references to the tragedy of airliners crashing.) Mark has set up a section for Commercial Aviation and another for the goings on in the Regional Airports. That is where this sort of stuff should be posted. Hope those forumites into matters commercial can oblige in future.

BTW I also browse the commercial and other sections too.
Shrtfld

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:43 pm

Uh, gonna make an equally pointless post: I was kind of surprised to see a topic on stalling under the GA forum too. There's a forum here specifically for EI-DUB y'know....
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:51 am

I'll tell you why, its because a lot of the other fora are dead. The Helicopter one for example. Weeks and months go by without a post sometimes. People post in here because its the only one where you will get a response.

As regards the terminal, I just the politicins could stop themselves from interfering, wish they would just stop bloody talking about it and build the damn thing, today!
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:11 pm

having worked on the ramp at DUB for some time now I can only come to the conclusion that just like all DAA's(Dublin Airport Authority) solutions to a problem.....it will be a disaster!

poorly built, poorly managed and poorly facilitated with the correct infrastructure.
Prime example? Look where they want to build the bloody thing! the back of Pier C? laughable!

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:26 pm

where would you suggest they build it andy?

I worked on the ramp there myself. Most of my issues were with the handling company most of the time, not the airport. Although I hope they get someone different to design this new terminal than the guys that designed the new baggage hall. that place is a disaster. A vehicle crashed into the cement there more often then not. :shock:

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:23 pm

ceatach wrote:Although I hope they get someone different to design this new terminal than the guys that designed the new baggage hall. that place is a disaster.

see what I mean.

ceatach wrote:where would you suggest they build it andy?

whats wrong with all the land over by the hangars? There is loads of room around apron 7 and the light aircraft parking area that just goes to waste while 767's such as the Air Canada gets put on the A pier taking up 3 stands! There is insufficient space around that pier.

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:31 pm

Where are they proposing to build it exactly???o_O
The back of pier C is the passenger terminal so cant be there...
U mean the Cargo Apron where circus-air have their crew room etc..?
I suppose the North Apron/Light Aircraft area wouldnt be a bad spot. If they are putting it where the cargo apron is then the smaller cargo flights will probably get shoved around to the light aircraft area or other remote stands...

XPIH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by XPIH » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:30 pm

ceatach and anyone else interested,
the linked pdf file below shows the location and various phases of the development. Note that detailed building design has not been completed so the exact shape of things to come is a bit fluid but you'll get the idea...
http://www.dublinairport.com/AR_Dublin/ ... Final1.pdf
Cormac

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:13 pm

Thanks for the link Cormac.

It was the back of Pier A andy, not C...

VNAV PTH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by VNAV PTH » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:36 am

It'll be the typical Irish construction mess.
I see from the plans that they are still planning on having the outdated cul-de-sac system, meaning that only 1 aircraft can pushback at a time. That is currently one of the main problems at the airport.
Reading the DAA pdf file, the last thing to be constructed will be the "internal road network". So, while the airport will have a massively increased capacity, the roads leading to it, and around it will still be the same pathetic mess that they are today! Just like everything else in Ireland...build, build, build as quickly as possible, but no time to think about the required infrastructure. Just think of the traffic problems around all the new housing developments.
The new terminal should have been nowhere near the current one. The site to the west, currently occupied by the old EI commuter hangar would have been much better. A completely different entrance/exit system and equally positioned between 28 and the proposed new 28R (though god knows when that will ever happen).

Here's to another 30 years of the worst airport in Europe!!
:roll: :roll:
Screw you guys.....I`m going home.......

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:08 pm

good pdf file.

still have to agree with what VNAV PTH said.

Akerosid
Unverified User
Unverified User

Freight forgotten?

Post by Akerosid » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:36 pm

So, while virtually every other major airport in the world builds freight capacity, DUB restricts its growth. There's no budget (and seemingly no room) for freight terminal expansion and the new Pier E will eat into the parking stands currently used by freight aircraft.

With exports and competitiveness in the news increasing and the govt having committed to develop trade links to Asia, it seems incredible that the DAA has apparently stifled freight growth and has allocated nothing to freight capacity in its EUR1.2B budget - yet this is rubber stamped.

Nor indeed is there any budget for an extended runway. We're stuck with the current 10/28 until the new runway opens in (at least) seven years' time. This is unforgiveable. With fuel prices as they are now, airlines are buying ULH aircraft (pax and freight - most of the recent 744 orders have been for pax aircraft) with a view to using them - guess what - on ULH flights, to keep fuel costs to a minimum. What do we do? We limit their ability to use these aircraft. No vision - and we're stuck with this nonsense for the next seven years. Honestly, I really, really despair sometimes. :evil:

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:44 pm

dublin airport is a disgraceful sh@t hole for passengers. A live version of lego land....bits added her and there. No rail link, puny 8600' rwy and massive crowding in the mornings. I blame squarely Bertie for his lack of testicles to oversee a radical avaition over haul in this country. The bi lateral is a joke.......we are stuffed with NYC, BOS ORD and LAX.....Orlando shortly going. I say BOLL@X.....That minister for transport is a limp clown. What constructive thing has he done for the benefit of the general public flying in airplanes in this country? NOTHING. We just diddle daddle and accept this. Even M O'L who wrote nearly every day to Mary O'Rouke has achieved no movement in aviation policy .....and not from the lack of trying. Now I see the DAA has been approved to jack up pax handling charges 23% as against the 50% they originally looked for. They knew if they shot for 50% they'd get 25%...std business hustling. So the decent fare pax has now to pay for more lego land misery.

Rant over.
Last edited by Bearcat on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.