Bus Crash Near Navan

Anything to do with the Air Corps...

Moderator: mark

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Bus Crash Near Navan

Post by Cosmic »

Have just been looking at the awful scenes on the News this evening of the Bus Crash which killed a number of school children near Navan. The Report showed three Air Corps Helis landing in an adjacent field to transfer the injured to hospital.

I was wondering, and it is not a criticism, why they were using a Gazelle and two Alouettes instead of the presumably bigger and more suitable Dauphin which they still have in operation I understand. It could of course be that the Dauphin had been and gone by the time the cameras got there. Anyone know for sure?

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob »

It happened just around the corner from my old house about two minutes walking up the road. Many of my mates had brothers and sisters on the bus.

Condolences to all families and friends,
RIP

futurepilot
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by futurepilot »

The reason a Dauphin didn`t arrive might be due to the fact that the Alouettes and the Gazelle were already fueled up and ready to fly. They probably airlifted the most critical patients to hospital before the Dauphins were ready and by then, there was no need for further helicopter involvement.

Tolka
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tolka »

My understanding is that the Aer Corps helicopters were used to bring in medical personnel, not to evacuate casualties. Hence no need for the Dauphin.

Tolka

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

Yeah, I know the road well. The accident deeply affected all in the area, Condolences to all who have lost.

I though most of The Dauphins were out of duty, after that acident down in Waterford back in 2001?

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

Those dauphins have been gone for a while,yeah?

Greatest sorrow and condolonces and best wishes to all affected from all at sae... :cry: :cry:

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

The dauphins were supposed to have been withdrawn from use in the latter part of last year. Those Dauphins are probably slower than the Alouettes anyway....

Condolences to all affected by this tradgedy.
Regards,
Aidan

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

More dangerous too...
A terrible buy in the 80's, they should've only been used for early training- they really weren't up to the job.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

It sems rather false to say these helicopters (dauphine) were or are not good. They are in use here in the US with the Coast Guard, with great success, I understand, and I see them around all the time. Just because one crashes in Ireland does not infere that they are not good machines, its how they are operated. Ok somebody is going to jump all over me for saying that...dont waste your time....its just my opinion....I think they are great machines saved many many lives here in the US. I'v not seen any photos of the accident, but I'm sure its horrific, sad loss of young lives.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

RV-BLue, to sy they are not "good Machines" is not right, I agree. However they were the wrong Machine for the Air Corps. This is what happens when you have politicians interfering with things they have no bloody business interfering in. The Air Corps seemed crippled by a decision making and spending process out of theor control and subject to vested intrests and point scoring by opposition parties in the Dail. Military decisions should be made by the Military. The accident in Tramore according to the Official report, here:

http://www.aaiu.ie/AAIUviewitem.asp?id= ... G&loc=1280

Was due to wide area of problems, not just one single thing, like having an arguably unsuitable aircraft. If you read the report and especially the parts about available payload due to outdated and/or heavy aged equipment avionics. It was this report and other incidents like the Winch Crew going on strike due to reports that the Aircraft were pulling over limits Torque during winching exercises, that finally put the Nail in the coffin for Aircorps S.A.R

One of the real indications for me, of the feeling that was held about the Air Corps organistion structure and Management was how the Gardai fought bitterly to keep the GASU out of the Air Corps Hands. One Helicopter sat in a Hanger for over a Year in the UK, while the "Suits" fought it out about who would operate it. Most sensible people wanted a private operator to run it, like everyone in the UK does. The Gardai did everything they could to stop that but in the end they had to cave in and let the Air Corps run it.

Cosmic- Bar Stool Quarter back, and Big Mouth to Boot!
:roll: