Anything to do with the Air Corps...

Moderator: mark

rnkelly
Unverified User
Unverified User

Pilot Training / Pay / Benefits ?

Post by rnkelly » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 am

Good day all,
I've been trying to find information about being a pilot in the Irish Air Corps, the official website has left me wondering the following; What is the Training Syllabus- ie how many flights on the PC-9 and what phases of flight are covered? Pay Scales- Salaries for a qualified Pilot for the various ranks, any allowances? Benefits- Medical, dental, pension etc?
Also wondering what the best pilot jobs are in the air corps, I realize that this would be different for each individual but if anyone can give me any insight which airframes are getting interesting missions recently and which bases have good quality of life it would be much appreciated.
,Ryan

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Before someone answers your actual questions did you spot on the news that both the Gardai and the Defence Forces have been put on a recruitment and promotion embargo for an undefinite period of time?

This could be for several years. Naturally if you are still in school then this is of less immediate concern.

Others will post detailed answers hoepfully as I don't have the answers you seek.
It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.

jaykay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jaykay » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Any ideas when the IAC will be hiring again??? Does any one know if having a PPL(H) would help if applying to join?

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:54 pm

jaykay wrote:Any ideas when the IAC will be hiring again??? Does any one know if having a PPL(H) would help if applying to join?

Probably not for a few years now. Having a heli licence will not help you, in fact they prefer their cadets as blank canvasses, or so I am told.

jaykay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jaykay » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Ah thats a shame, I've just qualified with my PPL(H) and thought that the air corps would be a great way to get my hands on some big machines like the AW139 :D guess a r22 will keep me entertained for now!!!

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:45 pm

There are several schools of thought on whether they like pilots trained or 'blank canvases' and anyone who gives you a definitive answer doesn't know what they are talking about.

What is guaranteed to help you is
*A degree
* RDF (formerly FCA) membership
as you get extra marks in your interview for having these

What is likely to help you is
*Technical background
*Proven Leadership and Organisational skills
*Proven interest in aircraft and the military

The selection process (well, the first stages anyway) consist of them anwering you routine questions about yourself and grading your answer. Simple as. Very impersonal. Then they add them up and give you a score. Top scores get through to the next stage.

Knowing someone (NOT CANVASSING!!) who is familiar with the format of the officer interview will help you enourmously, as they will tell you how best to sell yourself.

Gaisce, mountain rescue, Lifeguards, scouts RDF etc etc are all useful to be involved in, and being a captain of a sports team is a real plus as well. You should use this time to build up a deadly CV for the next time they are hiring. You need to be able to give them examples. They'll say stuff like "Tell me about a time when you showed organisational skills / leadership" etc etc and you got to answer.

I was going to give it a lash to see how I got on but I fear that by the time the hiring comes round again it will be too late.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

trackerman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by trackerman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:14 am

Something that you must remember and that should not be overlooked because you are hooked on aviation is that a career in the Air Corps is a career in the Military. Before you go anywhere near a plane you have to complete 15 months of military, soldier, training.

Are you just interested in being a pilot or are you interested in being in the military?

Also, there are many jobs in the Air Corps, mechanics, technicians, welders, Air Traffic controllers and more - call up the headquarters and get the application documents from previous years, they have all the info.