the reserves

Anything to do with the Air Corps...

Moderator: mark

hupla
Unverified User
Unverified User

the reserves

Post by hupla » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:28 pm

I know its not flying but im interested in joining up and i was wondering what the barracks in baldonel is called or is there one? cause i wana join up there so im around baldonnel for when i go for the cadetship.
Does any one know? On the military website it doesnt say Baldonnel but rather the barracks so i just want to make sure of what it is.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 pm

I would recommend the reserves to any lad or lass in their teens, if they think they would have an interest in it. Some people are not suited to it though.

Provided you can let the odd bollockin roll right off you, and you don't mind people you are smarter than telling you what to do, you're in for a few years of great fun, playing with guns and making great friends.

I'm in it over seven years and love every bit of it!

The unit you are looking for is A company of the 62nd reserve infantry batallion, which is based at Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel.

The 62nd is the reserve component of the 2nd inf regulars.

http://www.62infantry.com/Joining.shtml

This is an unofficial RDF site but will tell you everything you need to know, but were afraid to ask (for fear of getting shot or something).

If you want to play with the bigger toys (Heavy machine gun, 60mm mortar etc) join Support company. That's in Rathmines. It's worth it, believe me.

Joining in Bal because that's where the cadet interviews are is a bad reason. It's probably a totally different part of the barracks. YOu should join your local unit. You'll get free transport to and from trainng nights and the people n it will all be from your area as well.

Shoot the pigeon,

Nano
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

hupla
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hupla » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:03 pm

Nanolight wrote:I would recommend the reserves to any lad or lass in their teens, if they think they would have an interest in it. Some people are not suited to it though.

Provided you can let the odd bollockin roll right off you, and you don't mind people you are smarter than telling you what to do, you're in for a few years of great fun, playing with guns and making great friends.

I'm in it over seven years and love every bit of it!

The unit you are looking for is A company of the 62nd reserve infantry batallion, which is based at Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel.

The 62nd is the reserve component of the 2nd inf regulars.

http://www.62infantry.com/Joining.shtml

This is an unofficial RDF site but will tell you everything you need to know, but were afraid to ask (for fear of getting shot or something).

If you want to play with the bigger toys (Heavy machine gun, 60mm mortar etc) join Support company. That's in Rathmines. It's worth it, believe me.

Joining in Bal because that's where the cadet interviews are is a bad reason. It's probably a totally different part of the barracks. YOu should join your local unit. You'll get free transport to and from trainng nights and the people n it will all be from your area as well.

Shoot the pigeon,

Nano

Thanks alot Nano! Well I have put more thought into it than it may apear as Baldonnel is the closest to me!(Im from Blessington) Your right that they are in a seperate part of the aerodrome but I would just love to be in the surroundings! When I was there for 4th year work experience we were shown how to take apart a styer and The Heavy machine gun (It fookin is heavy aswell lol) in the reserves HQ, so i know pretty much where they are situated. Also, My friend gave me a spare application tht he had but I was wondering what to do with it? Should I go into Baldonnel and sort it out?

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:25 pm

The HMG certainly lives up to its name. All 40 odd Kilos of it.

Try hawking it round the place, double time as part of the 'weapon appreciation' module of the HMG course!

Your best bet is to find out when they are training and just show up there. They'll have the forms and fill them in and stuff. You have to do a basic medical and hearing test and swear that you are not a member of the 'ra or anything, and they do a garda check to see if you've got a record as well.

That link I posted should have numbers on the site as well. Get the number for A coy and give them a ring and head in. They could even be training tonight!

hupla
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hupla » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:25 pm

Nanolight wrote:The HMG certainly lives up to its name. All 40 odd Kilos of it.

Try hawking it round the place, double time as part of the 'weapon appreciation' module of the HMG course!

Your best bet is to find out when they are training and just show up there. They'll have the forms and fill them in and stuff. You have to do a basic medical and hearing test and swear that you are not a member of the 'ra or anything, and they do a garda check to see if you've got a record as well.

That link I posted should have numbers on the site as well. Get the number for A coy and give them a ring and head in. They could even be training tonight!

Alright but you dont have to turn up when their training only? thanks for all the help nano!

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:29 pm

Nanolight wrote: you're in for a few years of great fun, playing with guns and making great friends.
If you want to play with the bigger toys (Heavy machine gun, 60mm mortar etc) join Support company.

Being a fellow Reserve Soldier of 7+ years i find the way you call Guns as "Toys" to be highly disturbing.

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:09 am

What exactly do the Irish army reserve do ?

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:30 pm

Train every week for a couple of hours, then 2 weeks to a month (sometimes more) over the summer.

We often fill in for the regulars (PDF) doin duties and stuff, and we help co-ordinate events suc as the gaisce hikes and tall ships, irish wheelchair association open day, town open day/ fairs and that sort of thing.

Then there is an integrated unit training closely with the PDF. They get to do other stuff.

hupla
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hupla » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:33 pm

I was just wondering if I joined the reserves this yaer would they understand if i couldnt do things because of the LC? Im sure they would just making sure.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 am

Was in the reserves a few years ago when I was doing the leaving and there was no problem getting time off for upcoming exams etc.
I would imagine that's the general stance taken by the reserves
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:07 pm

You'll be grand, they understand.

They're also OK about sticky bosses not allowing you time off (though you CAN get a letter making the boss let you off, but this usually pisses him off even more).
Just don't take advantage it too much!

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:47 pm

(though you CAN get a letter making the boss let you off, but this usually pisses him off even more)

Not quite through there is no legislation at the moment for this, you can give your employer a letter worded in such away as to make him think he's to let you off but most employers no better.

Possibly a bit biased here, but join the 65th infantry as opposed the 62nd much better organised unit. :wink:
[/quote]

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Nanolight wrote:

you're in for a few years of great fun, playing with guns and making great friends.
If you want to play with the bigger toys (Heavy machine gun, 60mm mortar etc) join Support company.

Being a fellow Reserve Soldier of 7+ years i find the way you call Guns as "Toys" to be highly disturbing.

Reminds me of the first day of gun handling on the Air Corps course...

"A gun is not a toy, if you point a gun at anyone else, whether live, blanked or dud, i will take it upon myself to f**k*n butt you out the window with it, regardless of whether you are male or female" - that was also said to a senior officers daughter, which shows they take it very seriously!

Something to that affect anyway... ever since I avoid all weapons for fear of him marching around the corner!

hupla
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hupla » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:30 pm

guys im trying to ring Baldonnel to inquire about the reserves but i cant get through! I have 2 numbers, one which i got from the website www.62infantry.com and another from the reserves page on bebo but i cant get through with either of them! any one else got a number i can use or do they know wats wrong? They both just ring out! :(

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:28 pm

The 65th would answer the phone. :D