Air Corps receive first AW139

Anything to do with the Air Corps...

Moderator: mark

augusta
Unverified User
Unverified User

the 23d of nov

Post by augusta » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:56 pm

yestrday the augusta flew into baldonnel givin us a display .... i was doin wrk expereince... i was really luky t see this.... wha a sight... has any one seen it yet

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:00 am

Don't know, without doubt all at Baldonnel on Thursday were very lucky to get so close to the new aircraft, great experience, and they are amazing craft inside and out, fully kitted out for military service.

Really good to see such an aircraft into the Air Corps, really a thing of pride for all with an interest in aviation...

Regards,

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:11 pm

Whats the story with the tri-colour on the tail it would seem to be back to front.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:36 pm

Bob,

Flags on aircraft are always shown with the first colour towards the front of the aircraft, so obviously on one side it's going to be back to front. Take a look at the following examples:

http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... =11&pos=23

http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... =11&pos=27

http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... =11&pos=77

http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... =11&pos=75[/img]
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:25 pm

Amusing, asked a serviceman about that recently, he gave the same answer, but wasn't quite sure how it made sense himself!

Regards,

mini
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mini » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:54 pm

So can anyone confirm that it has been delivered - i.e. keys handed over? Are they camo like the EC135?

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:47 am

Hi Mini,

Yes, both AW139's were delivered at 1430 on Thursday. The registrations are 274 and 275. The Minister will be officially unveiling the helicopters to the press on Tuesday, no photos can be published until then. Keep an eye on the photo gallery at about 1400 on Tuesday :wink:

They are the same colour scheme as the EC135's
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

augusta
Unverified User
Unverified User

mini

Post by augusta » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:57 am

hey yes they have been handed over.... i was lucky enough to b in baldonnel when they flew in.. they gave a little display and then landed...

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:40 pm

Hey,

I saw them on thursday morning at about 11:30 (ish) landing
in the curragh camp in kildare, was told that they landed there before they got to BAL to fit the arnaments (spelt that wrong anyway...)
Lovely noise off them.

I beleive one of them actually landed in BAL, after a nice display for
all the lads there, and was actually U/S already, they flew it over with a few snags......

Will be seeing them a lot around the curragh training over the next while i suppose :D

Regards
Regards,
M747
:D

mini
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mini » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:46 am

Thanks for the definitive info Mark.

Given that the EC 135 seems to find my house as a POR and a place to initiate a tight turn, I look forward to seeing the AW.

It will be interesting to compare the noise levels, the EC is a real stealth machine.

Heliops
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Heliops » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 am

Mini you better start posting pics as they turn over your house!

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:09 pm

Hi all, Agusta 275 was in Coonagh on Saturday for a brief touch and go. Will post pics later.

TrickyDicky
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TrickyDicky » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:51 pm

Hi Guys,
The tricolours are placed on the aircraft so that they appear to be flying, as in from a flag pole.
Imagine standing looking at a flag pole with the wind from your left. The order is as follows from left to right.

Flag pole, Green, White, Orange.

Now you to the oppisite side of the flag pole with the same wind.
The order from left to right is now

Orange, White, Green, Flag Pole

It appears to be backwards is we would normally read yet the order from the flag pole never changes, this is the same with the aircraft.
TD

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:14 pm

Mark,
I would suggest a flash rather than a flag. The Irish flag is rectangular in shape with colours of equal proportion and width twice the depth. At a glance I cannot see any aircraft in my files that meet those specifications. The nearest is the Islander but I think it does not meet the criteria .
Tony K

Akerosid
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Akerosid » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:21 pm

Gorgeous aircraft; hopefully, they'll exercise the other options at some stage in the near future.

Going back to what Mark D. said earlier on (previous page), I think one of the main objections was that a large transport aircraft would spend quite some time sitting on the apron; if, however, the govt joined in a co-operative deal with some other European country, to "buy time" on a particular transport aircraft - say the C130J or C27 - wouldn't that make more sense. And since the Danish aircraft were used on humanitarian missions, surely the anti-war people could not object too strenuously to that?

It's amazing when you think about it; virtually every other country in Europe and the world can take its defence seriously, but here, it's a dirty word; defence is immoral - we should be spending money on anything but that. And yet, by the time a threat manifests itself, it's too late.

We're responsible for one of the biggest areas of sea in the EU and what do we do to patrol it - apart from the Naval Service (and when are they getting new ships)?

What I'd like to see is co-operation with the WEU, to have a greater level of co-operation on defence. We should encourage other countries - perhaps a neutral country like Sweden - to base some acft here, to help develop the country's skills in various areas, like SAR, marine patrol, etc etc. We expect our voice to be heard in Europe, particularly on foreign policy, but we are willing to do sod all to contribute to its defence. That's not sustainable.