Irish Aer Corps to order 6 Helicopters

Anything to do with the Air Corps...

Moderator: mark

Joey D
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Joey D »

Mary Harney got blasted from all quartes for jumping on an allouette and going up to Leitrim a couple of years ago, she then had to pay it back out of her own pocket

And rightly so, if had nothing to do with running the country.

When you think about it, Island relief, its genrally once a year, if that, when an island is cut off completely from the mainland for over a week, and there are plenty of private heli companies in the west who would very gladly help out and not expect medals at the end of it.

What companies would 'help out'? Im sure they'd want to get paid! But again you'd want quick responses, you couldnt be ringing up companies wondering at the last minute if they had a helicopter free.

Also your medals comment is harsh. Perhaps you should read Mayday Mayday.

Even the Gardai are hoping to privatise the GASU contract cause they are having to much unnecesary hassle from the Air corps

The gardai never wanted the Air Corps to fly their helis in the first place, so it doesnt surprise me that they'd find any excuse to privatise it.

So i suppose the question is, is there even a point in having an air corps, if private companies can deal with these situations when they arise, with a fraction of the cost and none of the beureaucracy?

Thats the $64,000 question. Only time will tell.

mavman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mavman »

Island relief is more than a once off occasion, just read the defence forces annual report to see how often it accurs. CHC would charge an arm and a leg for this service, remember the Dept of Marine pay millions just to have one helicopter based in a particular base then charge for every call out, again this info is freely available through the dept, and i've heard they are not always available even when they say they are, but this has never cost lives,and I cant prove this.

The air corps should be given reasonably sised helicopters, this country can surely afford them in this day and age, and a good enough reason is contingency, a government is stupid otherwise, no one knows what can happen, thats why the air corps originally got there helicopters, and let one say the A111s have not paid there way, why would a new helicopter today be any different.

Post by Guest »

There is no need to use 61 for island relief.
Off hand I can think of 4 companies in the west, Links, Executive, Premier and Westair who would be able to cary out this task, on smaller more practical helicopters.

And to say that the country can afford a new fleet of helicopters, think about that when you are driving through a toll road or sitting in a traffic jam cause the roads are to narrow or your mother is on a hosptal trolley for nearly 2 days, etc etc etc.

I will stand by my claim that the Air Corps is Europes best funded flying club!

Yeah, they have done some good in the past, and fair play to them, but that is not enough to warrant a massive spending increase, when a similar job can be done on demand for less without all of the other overheads!

Joey D
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Joey D »

There is no need to use 61 for island relief.
Off hand I can think of 4 companies in the west, Links, Executive, Premier and Westair who would be able to cary out this task, on smaller more practical helicopters.

I suppose it all depends what you're trying to bring to or off the island.

The companies you mentioned are governed by the civilian laws and cant land their helis anywhere they like, so they wouldnt be much good in emergency situations, unlike military helicopters.

And to say that the country can afford a new fleet of helicopters, think about that when you are driving through a toll road or sitting in a traffic jam cause the roads are to narrow or your mother is on a hosptal trolley for nearly 2 days, etc etc etc.

Yawn, you've already used this argument. There has been no investment in helicopters in 20 years.(and the sligo contract doesnt count) If the government can aford a new jet they can buy new helicopters.

I will stand by my claim that the Air Corps is Europes best funded flying club!

You just keep looking at the VIP transport.

Yeah, they have done some good in the past, and fair play to them, but that is not enough to warrant a massive spending increase, when a similar job can be done on demand for less without all of the other overheads!

A 'massive' spending increase thats well over due to replace ancient helis and planes, I really dont know how the techies have kept them going for so long.

Done on demand for less? Sur the civilan contractors charge for every call out.

sean
Unverified User
Unverified User

Irish air corps

Post by sean »

If the irish air corps are prepering themselfs for entering nato why are they getting rid of 15 helecoptors and only getting 6 new ones :roll:

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

hi all
good one going here,at last.
Joey, if the Government needed to commandeer any aircraft, vessel, vehicle,aerodrome, building,etc in the country, in the event of an emergency, they can do it at will. Such a provision already exists in law and always has done. An S-61 would only be needed for a large-scale evacuation of an island and a smaller machine is much more suitable for routine attendance. This is a fact worldwide.
Sideshow Raheem is absolutely dead right when he says that the Air Corps cannot provide the same level of servicability that a civil operator can provide. I was in the place for long enough and know that this is utterly true for many,many reasons.
The Gardai should have their own helicopter service, in line with standard international practise. The Air Corps forced their hand on that issue and both services have been in conflict ever since. It is stupid to expect two different forces, operating and funded by two different Ministries,to co-operate even at the most basic bureaucratic level, when they have two utterly different operating methodologies.
The older helicopters should be replaced for the simple logic of fleet standardisation, if not alone for the fact that the Gazelle and Alouettes are obsolete and hugely expensive to maintain and fly.
Quite frankly, you can argue about the Air Corps til you are blue in the face, but some simple realities about the place will never change---it is an expensive, bureaucratic, time-serving, change-resistant, self-serving little empire that will not tolerate criticism, even in the most benign form.It will never,ever be as efficient at the business of moving aeroplanes about the sky as even the simplest airline.
rant over
fight's on!
S

Joey D
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Joey D »

if the Government needed to commandeer any aircraft, vessel, vehicle,aerodrome, building,etc in the country, in the event of an emergency, they can do it at will. Such a provision already exists in law and always has done

Im sure there is, and in theory it sounds like a plan. But realistically, if a situation occured in the dead of night where helis were needed, could these helis be commandeered practically? Would the IAC pilots have training in the different types of helis (or the civilian pilots of these comandeered helis, have the necessary training to perform the task) and would these civilian helis even be equiped to handle the situation.

is absolutely dead right when he says that the Air Corps cannot provide the same level of servicability that a civil operator can provide. I was in the place for long enough and know that this is utterly true for many,many reasons........it is an expensive, bureaucratic, time-serving, change-resistant, self-serving little empire that will not tolerate criticism, even in the most benign form

Since you have first hand experience, I wont argue with your points, other that to say, surely some of the causes of criticism ly with the department of defence rather than the IAC (mainly- expensive, bureaucratic, change resistant, as you put it) and is your opinion the same for the navy and army?

ever be as efficient at the business of moving aeroplanes about the sky as even the simplest airline.

Airlines are in the business of making profit. The IAC is providing a service so I think there is difficulty in trying to compare the two!