UFO'S Over Dublin.

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Heliops
Unverified User
Unverified User

UFO'S Over Dublin.

Post by Heliops » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:37 pm

Just read this thread on Irishairpics.com.

I know its slightly off topic(Aircorps) but in todays Evening Herald theres a report about the increasing sightings of unknown A/C, and other UFO's over the east coast. This article pays particular attention to a recent event which took place on June 30th at 01.50hrs over Dublin which invovled 11 unknown radar returns at EIDW which appeared at various locations around the city and suburbs. A pilot said he seen green and red lights moving erratically over Santry,Malahide and finglas(GASU heli maybe???) and that they reported it to ATC before having a near miss with an object that caused turbulance and the TCAS to warn of an impending collision before shooting off "like lightning". The pilot also estimated that the object was 30ft long and 10 feet high making it oval in appearance. Intresting stuff guys!!
Frank, how about starting up a thread about this sort of stuff??? The pilots want to remain anonymous for obvious reasons so maybe people could share stories here??
I know some people totally rubbish this subject but it doesnt have to be all about little green men with ray guns, after all these objects/craft that were seen accelerating to warp speed in june had red and green lights, which suggests terrestrial origin. Black ops along the east coast anyone??

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:52 pm

Red and Green, hmm. I thought nav lights were meant to be red and green ?! :?

I'm not doubting thier story, but I find this very hard to believe.

-Al-
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by -Al- » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:27 pm

weird, though if you were gonna make something up a better choice of colours might have been better alright :D

I seen a UFO when I was about 13/14, and just for the record, im not a mad man looking for attention, and I mean UFO in its true meaining, not little green men in dust bin lid shaped things :D

no seriously though, I seen 2 red lights maneuvering about one night, hard to explain in writing but basically thery were crossing each others paths very quickly and there airspeed was fast too, and there was no noise, this was on a completley silent and clear night.

left us who had seen it a little puzzled.

So i wouldnt discount there story completly, especially when they had radar contacts.
--- "Hey there blimpy boy, flying so high and fancy free" --- Homer Simpson

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:51 pm

Well to put it simply, if the TCAS went off, then it has to be another aircraft, with a transponder.

If I undersand it correctly, TCAS only acts on the signal emitted by a transponder.

Sounds more like an airspace bust to me!

VNAV PTH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by VNAV PTH » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:59 pm

Pilot is correct. A TCAS system can only detect another aircraft with a transponder installed too.
If the intruder aircraft has no Mode S, then no altitude information is available and the system will only issue a TA (Traffic Advisory) ie. an aural "TRAFFIC, TRAFFIC" warning.
If both aircraft are Mode S equipped, then if the system percieves a collision with in 20 secs, the TA will be followed by an RA (Resolution Advisory) ie "CLIMB, CLIMB NOW" or "DESCEND, DESCEND NOW", or one of several other types.
Last edited by VNAV PTH on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screw you guys.....I`m going home.......

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:00 pm

I thought that a a TCAS can detect aircraft with a transponder- and its on. It did not think that they needed a TCAS!

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:58 am

VNAV, many points in your post are factually incorrect.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:04 am

Rallye your are correct,TCAS transmits an interrogation signal(1030MHz) to other transonders,the other aircraft does not need a TCAS system just a mode A or mode C Transonder will do,and obviously mode S will be able for interrogation.VNAV,e.g if a A320 with mode S and TCAS 2 equipped,interrogates a signal from a mode A or C on lets say a cessena they will get information(receives on 1090MHZ) however our little cessena 172 has no TCAS,however Mode A and C only Transmit a Code or Altitude on a radar screen,Mode A is a Code(possibly callsign),Mode C is Altitude and Mode S is lots of stuff direction,TAS,Callsign,Alt,climb/descent etc.