inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Its really hit the fan now !!!

Post by inverted » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:53 pm

Taken from the RTE website :

"Removal of aerodrome hangars ordered

19 July 2005 17:04
Companies under the control of businessman Jim Mansfield were ordered by the High Court today to remove unauthorised developments at Weston Aerodrome in Lucan, Dublin.

They were also ordered to pay the legal costs of the proceedings to South Dublin County Council.

In April, the court upheld a claim by the council that the bulk of the development work at the aerodrome was unauthorised except for a wastewater treatment plant.

The aerodrome was bought by Mr Mansfield for almost ?13 million in 2003.

Today, Mr Justice Liam McKechnie gave Fallowvale Ltd and Weston Ltd three months to comply with his findings.

He ordered the removal of unauthorised hangars and held that a bungalow in the aerodrome should only be used for residential purposes.

In relation to two car parks, it was agreed that one of them would be for domestic use but the judge said that tarmacadam should be removed from the second and the area levelled with topsoil.

Three new complaints by the council were left over for a further court hearing. They relate to a kitchen cafe, the introduction of two portakabins and the alleged widening of the runway.

Court refuses order

The court refused to make an order which would have restrained any development on the land unless, and until, planning permission had first been obtained.

The judge said people have to act lawfully and embark on ventures outside that at their own risk.

He said there was merit in the council asking for this order but, being utterly generous to the respondents, he declined to make it in the present circumstances."

Well it looks like the craic is goin to start now !!!
T.C

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:17 pm

this is why I dont bother bother flying in Ireland! its a complete joke.

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:28 pm

Uh-Oh. I suppose its a good thing that despite having a few politicians in his pocket, Mr Mansfield still gets whipped for operating outside the law.

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:53 pm

the previous post is spot......GA is b**lox in ireland..... unless you you own your own strip and that negates most of us. I gave it my best shot and expect to throw my hat in soooner than later.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:42 pm

I really don't see Mansfield taking down all of these, be it ordered or not.

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:35 am

It doesn't look good. I have a question about the hangars. Do they mean the new hangars on the opposite side of the runway or the modified old ones? What about the new tower and building. That wasn't mentioned. They were due to move there anyway this month so the loss of the Darby's house hardly matters not to mention the car park.
Guess I'll have to go there tomorrrow and ask.

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:42 am

from my reckoning, they will have to tear down the hangar adjacent to egans hangar and all the taildraggers in egans hangar /shed will have to left out side as egans shed is a farm shed under planning......this has been on the boil for the last few years and a high court order is final unless he appeals to the supreme court where they dont have a rats chance. Mr M has p@ssed the council off no end with his blatent antics and the council will not budge an inch to him which means a poor future for the GA bods there. i am very concerned. :?:

Chaos
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Chaos » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:15 pm

I agree with Bearcat. Weston's future potential was dealt a heavy blow by the Courts. Unfortunately, the bigger socio-economic issue is the demand for residental housing space. More to the point, the safe protection of residents living near Weston's circuit area. I' imagine Big J could seek appeal to this latest decision. Face it, the planning authorities are p*ssed off with Big J for many reasons. I can understand Big J's reasons, i.e. our bad planning system both in terms of pragmatic and timely decision making. Big J just wants to get on with the job at hand. Unfortunately, this means breaking the law. Regrettably, his actions are escalating hostilities towards Weston from the local community.

Dublin don't want GA and I can see Weston going down the tubes, irrespective of how much money Big J has invested the future looks v. dull.

GA is going pear shaped in Ireland, excessive red tape (IAA / JAR), Irish FTO's training charges to customers are off the wall. There are so many wannabes out there and many FTO's are feeding off wannabes dreams. What ever happened to flying just for fun! I'm wishing for a dramatic improvement in GA fortunes in this country . . . .

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:55 pm

sure he's only a cowboy anyway,was he also ordered to take down some place he built near citiwest a year or two ago because of no planning permission?????

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:39 pm

dutch roll....bit of a sweeping statement on big Jim. Yes, he's screwed the pooch and its coming back at him. I admire him.....why? because as chaos says the planning system is a joke and big J had a plan and tried to achieve at any cost and it has finally caught up. He has made a great success of citywest and has given employment to a huge raft of people in the saggart area. He also has contributed immensely to the local community financially.

If big J didnt buy weston dont think for one iota the capt would be still rooting around....more than probably it would have been sold to a developer who would have shut the place down and waited for a change from green zone to housing status.

there are other issues that are for future hearings of the court that could close weston.....see the paragraph starting "Three new complaints by the council were left over for a further court hearing..........

I think GA close to Dublin is over....sorry for been morbid but the writings on the wall.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:40 am

[quote="Dutch Roll"]sure he's only a cowboy anyway

Dutch, the truth be known there should be a few more REAL "cowboys' in government, the man has vision...its a shame, I'm sure he had a good laugh "shoving it up thier ass....says a lot for the quality of life there.....I just love heading to my airport and climbing into the airplane, and I dont have to talk to 50 million ATC's to fly around.I hope to God he tells them to go to hell...Ok guys dont bother replying...its a load of crap over there and always will be as far as aviation goes....the wannabe's can have it....

Buzz Lightyear
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Buzz Lightyear » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:42 am

a mole told me as soon as the ryder cup 06 is history so is the airfield and me thinks so.
look at the restrictions that have been put in place to date!!
its development potential is probally worth 2 r 300 mil!!
the planning people dont want it as a airfield nor do the neighbours!!
i see wee willie od is now also a enemy,what chance has he got workin with bal!!
its a real shame but maybe a little to close to dub + bal to do what jimmy wanted to do!!

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:45 pm

i see the effects of the court case....car park cordoned off...to be ripped up...canteen in capts old house to close and move to a porta cabin.

it was a beautiful evening last night and just one soul doing circuits....everyone has lost interest.

on a postive note though there is life as in alternates to weston.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:36 pm

canteen in capts old house to close and move to a porta cabin.

That says it all really. The so called planners have their heads firmly inserted in their arses. I was in Weston for my first experience of flying about Ten years ago. It looked so amateurish, and I emphasize that word, with everyone squeezed into ratty portacabins strewn everwhere. I came back 5 years later and the placed looked fantastic, transformed. There was a nice atmosphere and a sort of clubhouse feel to the place. There was someplace nice and bright, warm and clean to bring the folks out to. Someone comes along and makes a bit of a go of it, puts in a lovely cafe which people not just pilots came from the surrounding area to use. Jobs were created, the last time I visited there were three or four faces I saw regularly. And now they are going to have to put it all back into Portacabins, which in effect are there for good instead.

How on Earth is that better planning?
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

Chaos
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Chaos » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:23 am

Cosmic, I'd say the fact only one guy was operating in the circuit was more to do with folks being away on hols. However, I do feel there is a cloud of complete unknown hanging over Westons' future. I would like to know if any of the various clubs, FTO's and aircraft owners have thought of meeting up as a unified group of 'tenants' and request a meeting with the owners and operators of the airfield, Big Jim or his side kicks, etc.

Everybody needs to know what the heck is going on with the damn place. If the ship is truely sinking then at least we then know thats the situation and allow folks to begin making alternate arrangements.

Either way, Big Jim ain't going to loose a cent from his initial investment. As an earlier reply mentioned, its just a matter of rezoning and within no time usage changes from airfield to residental or hotel / recretional/leisure amenity, etc.

In my own humble opinion, I can possibly envisage the Government generating additional revenues by opening Baldonnel up to joint military and civilian use. This will defuse the arguments coming from McEvaddy's and MOL for an independent terminal at Dublin (citing conjestion). I can't see how the Government can continue to allow the Baldonnel facility to sit idle as the capital expands - Baldonnel is a natural route for them to take. Perhaps we'll be looking at moving everybody from Weston to Baldonnel in years to come, who knows? Only time will tell.