Aero Estate
  • Flying88
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Aero Estate

by Flying88 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:38 pm

Good Day to the Irish Aviation Community.

I am trying to ascertain whether or not investing in, or setting up an aero residential estate in Ireland is a worthwhile venture and whether or not interest for such a venture exists? I see the following potential "hinderances".
    1. Does such a venture exist in Ireland?
    2. Is there land available to build say a 1000m strip with hangars and homes etc? (I was eying Limerick County)
    3. Would the legal processes for this be too bureaucratic and thus make it "more effort than it's worth"? i.e. airfield registration with IAA, legality of residential property and its location etc.
    4. Is the private aviation sector established enough in the country to allow for such a venture?

This is obviously still a pipe dream but I dream I would love to pursue.
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Aero Estate

by mark » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi Flying88,

I'd say it would be possible but would be a long term project. There are several similar ventures setup as golf clubs around the country and I think that would be the model to follow. They're set up as a golf club or country club with associated mobile homes or houses and other facilities such as clubhouse, bar/restaurant, tennis courts, playgrounds, beach access etc. To answer your questions;

1) No
    2) I'm sure there's land somewhere, you need to think about airspace as well though. You'll also need to think about other facilities, remember it's not the pilots you're trying to win over, it's their families! 600m runway would be more than enough for most aircraft types once the approaches are clear at each end
    3) No airfield licence required for something like this, planning permission is probably your biggest obstacle
    4) Hard to say, if it was diverse enough to not only be exclusive to pilots it may work (i.e. many of the country clubs have members that are not golfers but enjoy the location or other amenities).

Regards,
    Mark
  • Flying88
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Flying88 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Thanks so much Mark, really informative response and very helpful. I think I will definitely look into it...
  • john_aero
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by john_aero » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:20 pm

I think few years ago I heard someone talk about setting something up but the most it ever came to was news headlines. maybe 20 years ago

Best option might be to approach an existing airfield and see if they would be interested in allowing a development merger where the runway gets used as the focal point for a housing estate to be built around it