Airfield Planning in Ireland - 28 Day Rule ?

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Carrier Pigeon
Verified User
Verified User

Airfield Planning in Ireland - 28 Day Rule ?

Post by Carrier Pigeon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi all,
In the UK if you want to use a field for private flying there is a 28 day rule. This rule means that you don't need Planning Permission so long as you don't fly more than 28 days in any one year.
Since a High Court judgement in Ireland in 2001, to use a field for taking off or landing an aircraft (even 1 time) requires Planning Permission because it is deemed 'Change of Use'.
I've spoken to the IAA about this and asked if they could do something about it. The reply was that as all Planning Laws are the remit of the Dept. of the Environment, they do not have any authority to amend this law.

So my question is, could we (Pilots & enthusiasts) petition Politicians to enact a law to give us the same rights as our colleagues in the UK?

(Are there any politicians in Ireland who are also Pilots?)

Thanks
Carrier Pigeon

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Airfield Planning in Ireland - 28 Day Rule ?

Post by mark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:40 am

Hi Carrier Pigeon,

I agree that something should be done in this area and it's up to us pilots to do it. The best process would be to go through the representative associations but unfortunately they're quite fragmented in Ireland and there's no representative organisation for regular GA pilots (AOPA etc.). I'd recommend talking to the National Aero Club about this as they're the umbrella organisation for many of the GA organisations. They also have good connections at local and national level.

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information