IAA Plan to Lower the Base of Controlled Airspace!

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

IAA Plan to Lower the Base of Controlled Airspace!

Post by mark » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi all,

Many of you may have been aware of the ongoing consultation to raise the Transition Altitude (TA) from 5,000ft to 18,000ft. Details are at https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/consultations. In the most part, this will have little impact on most General Aviation Users in this country.

However....AIC 15/15 was also published (Available HERE) in November and buried in that is a plan to lower the base of controlled airspace " as part of the consultation process." I've only heard about this AIC for the first time today despite reading all the documentation associated with the TA Consultation. To me this is a very sneaky move by the IAA to lower the base of controlled airspace and claim that the GA Community were 'consulted'. After speaking with a few people today, the general consensus is that the base will be lowered from FL75 to 5000ft across the entire country.

We already have far too much controlled airspace and the CTR's in this country are way too big already. I think serious consideration should be given to reducing the amount of controlled airspace not increasing it.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

martins
Verified User
Verified User

Re: IAA Plan to Lower the Base of Controlled Airspace!

Post by martins » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:19 am

I don't have an informed or educated opinion in this matter, but I see this as a great opportunity to ask to more experienced pilots - would you often go above 5000ft in Ireland?

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:19 pm

I wonder where the need comes from? There is hardly much commerical traffic going around at 5000-7500?

I do sometimes fly at such altitudes.

Lowering it wouldn't be such a major problem if access is easy to get. But if it just becomes an increased vectoring space for regionals, with no access because "we're expecting a flight in the next 15 minutes" then it wouldn't be great.

I've love to know why they want to do this. This will be more telling than anything else.

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Mark H » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:47 am

I know that I ask for 10k when crossing the Irish Sea and usually get it. This is generally the only time I look for this sort of altitude to give me the greatest gliding distance should all go quiet