This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kinair 2005 CANCELLED

Post by mark »

Hi guys,

Got an email from the Rally Director, Pat Nolan, to say that this years Rally had to be cancelled because not enough aircraft are taking part. What happening lads? Is nobody interested? This year would have been my first year in the competition and I was really looking forward to it. It sounded like a great weekend for all concerned. Is it a case that no one is interested or nobody knows about it? The Kilkenny Air Rally has been going since 1972.

I attach the email I got below...................

NOTIFICATION OF CANCELLATION

It is with very deep regret that I have to advise you that it has been found necessary to abandon our efforts to mount this years air rally. Principally the lack of response has had the effect of making this venture, so dear to our hearts, fall outside that acceptable level of subsidy always carried by the Board of Kilkenny Airport Ltd.

We have had a good innings, having kept the Rally to the forefront of such events for more than thirty years. But sadly it, like all good things, must finally come to an end.

My main duty is to extend my very best thanks and appreciation to those of you who have supported the Rally over a number of years. In so doing I
couple with you those select few who intended to join us for the first
time this year. My sincere thanks to you all for you're never failing assistance and support. Kinair was for me a wonderful opportunity to get to know and secure the friendship of an aviation fraternity which was truly trans-national and indeed trans-continental.

Please also accept my sincere apologies and regrets for the inconvenience and annoyance this forced change of plans will have caused you and your friends.

Patrick M Nolan

KINAIR Rally Director

1972- 2004

-------------------------------------------------------------
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Click the link below for some of last years photographs....

http://flyinginireland.com/news/june04/kinair.htm
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach »

jeez, that sounds like a farewell to kinair for good.... Hope its resurrected next year, I'd love to participate. Couldnt do it this year though....

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

Come on lads, now you really know what state leisure aviation in Ireland is in, it was all in the NACI report, 2 months ago, this was bound to happen, we're allowing fun in Irish aviation to slip away. First the Museum in Castlemoate House, then Air Spectacular, now, once one of Europe's most popular fly-ins, it is a sad day indeed.
We all need to get our opinions out there, the NACI, would be a good place to start. I've seen this problem in Irish aviation history for ages, lack of interest, in the right influencial places; but I never thought events like this would have this problem!

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Byron, I have to agree with everything you say there.

And personally i don't feel there is enough interest between young people and aviation.

I am deeply disappointed to see the cancellation of Kinair, but last year was pretty dead compared to other year's. Hopefully it will be back next year with increased interest.

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo »

Folks

All is not lost

Small steps ae being taken to address our significant lack of 'clout' in aviation circles. There is to be a meeting in Birr within the next couple of weeks of the 'influencers' within Irish aviation to map out a structure for a national body for general aviation or probably more closely related to 'sport flying'. That meeting will lay the ground work for a second meeting in September where all pilots and those interested in the creation of a new National Body for 'Sport Flying' to meet and set up an association under the umbrella, and sponsorship of the National Areo Club of Ireland.

This will be your chance to decide where 'sport flying' is going in Ireland.

Don't let me down when you hear the 'call to arms'

Regards

YoYo

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

YoYo,

Keep us posted of that. Would be interested in attending.

Birr itself has been proactive this year with its breakfast flyins, The SAAC field are also holding a similar thing.

Best regards

Willo