Flying in Dublin?

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

austeniverson
Verified User
Verified User

Flying in Dublin?

Post by austeniverson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:04 pm

Does anyone know of any places that will rent N registered aircraft in Dublin? I'm looking for 172's, Pipers, or anything SEL....I'm going to be studying there this summer, and would love to fly!

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Flying in Dublin?

Post by Pilot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:42 pm

I don't know of any places that you can rent an N-Reg.

However you can fly in an Irish registered aircraft (EI reg) with an FAA Airman's cert without issue for the moment. (Will change in April next year). However you need a class 1 or 2 medical. Class 3 won't be accepted.

Weston Airport is the home of GA in Dublin.

Having said that, as far as I know all of the schools in Weston require a five hour checkout. Perhaps the recession has changed their thoughts on that....it's a long time since I was looking to hire from any of them. So it's not so easy to just turn up, do an hour's checkout and go unfortunately.

If you're here for a while it might be worth it. If not, then perhaps you'd be happy having an instructor along.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Flying in Dublin?

Post by vanman » Fri May 02, 2014 12:13 pm

As above. Renting is quite rare in Ireland because of the insurance requirement for five hours. But if you're willing to go through it. It's doable. The NFC have Cessnas for rent.

On the other hand, and others might be able to confirm this. You might find it better to join a club for the Summer. It's cheaper for one thing and you get to hang out with other flyers. I'm not sure how practical it is though.