Galway Zone

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Galway Zone

Post by Pilot » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:46 pm

What is the position with the Galway CTR since Galway closed? From the AIP it appears to still exist.

Is it simply a case it still existing but reverting to class G when not in use, which is now permanently? But of course then you are supposed to check that it's not active either by trying to call on the frequency or checking with Shannon? Is that it?

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Galway Zone

Post by StrikeCommand » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:38 pm

NOTAM says "Aerodrome closed except to based aircraft". The same NOTAM says the various navaids are out of service, 2 of them permanently.

Since Galway City and County Councils are the new owners of the airport, one can only assume that they have decided that only sitting tenants like the Galway Flying Club may use it.

Anyone interested in being able to use Galway again should lobby the City & County Council management and Councillors in the hope of getting it re-opened. It was a great place to visit in the last 2 to 3 years of its life. The 5 remaining staff were great and did all they could to encourage GA people to come in. On occasion, they opened up the airport at 0300h to allow medical evacuation flights to come in. Unfortunately a lot of damage had been done in the years before that by the previous management through charges etc.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:58 pm

It's class G at all times but the flying club do operate and it would be a good idea to call on the local frequency if you are in the vicinity. Both the Coast Guard and Air Corps air ambulance are regular visitors to the hospital so you need to be aware of them too. They will be low level so Shannon may not be able to hear them.

Hopefully it will re-open to other traffic some stage this year.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks Vanman.

I take it that the "Local frequency" is the Galway ATC frequency, even if there isn't atc anymore??

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Yes local would be the former tower frequency. 122.5

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Thank you ;)

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Update: I received the following response from Galway operations to a request to land there this week:

Hi Dara,
I am sorry to have to tell you that Galway airport is currently closed as it has been purchased by the council.
We are awaiting a decision in the next week to ten days on what the short or long term plans are for the Airport.
I will contact you on their decision shortly,if as we hope their decision is positive we can then arrange for parking/hangerage at Galway airport in the near future.
I will get back to you as soon as I can you as we would be delighted to facilitate your visit to Galway.
Regards,
Pat

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:30 am

The Galway City Manager told the council earlier this week that the aerodrome licence will be renewed on April 3rd. Earlier the council had been told that the intention was to retain it as an 'aviation facility'.

Apparently there are a number of issues to work out before the two councils take ownership but it's beginning to look hopeful that the airport will be open to visitors this summer. Fingers crossed on that.

philt
Verified User
Verified User

Post by philt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:06 am

Jep, fingers crossed. However, the closure NOTAM has just been extended until mid July... :cry:

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:43 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the NOTAM. If the airport was going to reopen before then, it would be easy to issue a new NOTAM superseding that information.
Don't forget that the local elections are in May and the candidates are already out canvassing. This is the ideal time to be pushing for the airport's re-opening - any aviators living in Galway City and County should take this opportunity to lobby the candidates. Now is the time to get their attention - they won't give a Highlander's Damn after they get elected!
Also you have to remember that the Councils are run by incompetents who can't make a decent job of the areas that they are supposed to be qualified to deal with - i.e. normal municipal matters - never mind airports and aviation, which is outside their experience. (Despite the 1994 Local Government Act giving them a "General Competence" to basically get involved in anything. They love quoting this to justify Arts Centres etc and forays into areas where they really have no business.). But no doubt they will engage Consultants at great cost to tell them what they should do and then they will do what they wanted to do all along anyway. :D

philt
Verified User
Verified User

Post by philt » Wed May 14, 2014 10:34 pm

So, can anyone confirm that it re-opened? (No more closure NOTAM to be found...)

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Sat May 17, 2014 11:39 am

No sign of anything happening. Not even a decent rumour. Just the club as usual who are still in limbo as to what's happening next. Maybe after the local election the councillors will start asking questions.

BDoyle
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BDoyle » Sat May 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Just some advice to any readers in these 'interesting times' when 'ownership' of some airports and facilities are changing hands.
according to our legislation an occupier of a building for a period in excess of 5 years is entitled to remain in possession for as long as they wish and only pay the market rent. there must be a 'building' on the land and there must be a use for a purpose described in the act as a 'business'. 'building' has been deemed to include almost any structure and planning permission is not relevant. Business is defined in the legislation to include a club or association. profit or trade is not necessary.
a flying club would qualify for this protection if there is any hut, club house hangar etc on site, even a fuel store. the legislation included ancillary property which would include runways and taxi ways. all the occupier must do is to pay the market rent which must be proven if necessary, in a court. repairs are also designed to make it very difficult for an owner to force an occupier out through excessive repair obligations.
so clubs and other users of our airfields who can show that they have been in occupation for more than 5 years can stay put. a new owner cant remove them if they do not want to leave. the club can also sublet. it also does not matter if the club agreed to avoid this in the past as the legislation specifically prohibits contracting out of the protection.
if under pressure clubs should just carry on as normal. ............... enjoy the flying

aviatorsguide
Verified User
Verified User

Post by aviatorsguide » Sun May 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Useful point Brian. I would have one caveat I may add. There is a right to renew a lease after 5 years operating a business, but not a right to renew a sublease. Lots of airports are not operated by the freeholder and thus the operator is merely granting subleases to the various users on the field on foot of the head lease. In that case the point may prove less useful. I checked this my own solicitor there recently. I must research it more carefully. JCW Wylie's bible springs to mind.

William

BDoyle
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BDoyle » Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Not so William.
If it was that way all the purpose built shopping centres in the country would 'avoid the act'. The legislative protection is based on occupation............ head lease or any sublease is irrelevant. The act applies to predecessors in title.
Indeed, the occupier with the benefit if the legislation 'owns' a statutory interest in the property and as such can give permission to others to land at the facility and thus comply with the aviation rules that require permission of the 'owner' to land to land.
Happy flying