IAA Ramp Inspections and SAFA inspections

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

IAA Ramp Inspections and SAFA inspections

Post by StrikeCommand »

Can anyone who has actually experienced an IAA Ramp Inspection (either GA or Commercial), tell me what documents they requested sight of?
I think IAA Inspectors carried out a ramp inspection at a Fly In at Birr (in 2010 possibly? ). I didn't arrive until later in the day and so missed it.
In particular, did they ask to see anyone's Insurance Certificate/Policy?
(I just give Birr as an example, the location is irrelevant).
Also any commercial/airline pilots - have you ever experienced a SAFA inspection at an Irish Airport?

Thanks

xpro
Verified User
Verified User

Re: IAA Ramp Inspections and SAFA inspections

Post by xpro »

I think there was one in Clonbellogue recently aswell.
Friend of mine was there at the time. They check for usual stuff, all the aircraft docs, which should be on board anyway, (insurance cert should be always carried) Pilots licence, etc.

Figle
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Figle »

Just to put the record straight there was never a ramp check at the Irish parachute club by the Iaa just people who like to spread rumors saying that there was. And as for the person whos friend was there when there was ramp check done I'm afraid he's a liar lol sorry to break the bad news to ya. I for one think it's great to see the Iaa out and about justifying there existence as the authority to govern aviation in Ireland.

xpro
Verified User
Verified User

Post by xpro »

Figle wrote:Just to put the record straight there was never a ramp check at the Irish parachute club by the Iaa just people who like to spread rumors saying that there was. And as for the person whos friend was there when there was ramp check done I'm afraid he's a liar lol sorry to break the bad news to ya. I for one think it's great to see the Iaa out and about justifying there existence as the authority to govern aviation in Ireland.
They might have been there for some other reason,I don't know, but I'll tell him he's a liar

I was in Weston at the time about to go out when I was told that IAA were in Eicl. "Make sure all the papers are in order". Which in my case was all spot on. Could have well been a different place,or no place at all, but yes, Aviation world is full of rumours :roll:

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand »

Like XPRO, I would have thought that Insurance documents were required to be carried on board.
However, as far as I can see, and maybe someone more knowledgeable can correct me, it is Section 20 of the Air Navigation (Operations) Order 1964 that prescribes the documents to be carried. Insurance isn't mentioned. As far as I know, that legislation hasn't been amended since, which is surprising.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi all,
It might be no harm if the IAA clarified exactly what they want to see in a "ramp check". Having had FAA and French Customs ramp checks in my time, they wanted to see everything related to the aircraft and the licensing of the pilot.....I did encounter an IAA man who decided to insert a great deal of rudeness into an alleged ramp check. He was rapidly put back in his box and his behaviour made known to head office.........they did do ramp checks in Birr and other places last year, which they are perfectly entitled to do.They also have the power to inspect any Irish registered aircraft anywhere, as do the NAAs of other States.
regards
Stovepipe

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

stovepipe wrote: It might be no harm if the IAA clarified exactly what they want to see in a "ramp check".
Hi Stovepipe,

FII are working with the IAA on this and hope to have an article about this in an upcoming issue (hope the May magazine).

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Sytky
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Sytky »

I have experienced a few ramp inspections. They only wanted to see the insurance, and the log ooks for the AC plus my licence and medcert. Exactly like a roadside check from the rossers only the Inpectors arent a stupid or slimey. :lol:

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand »

Thanks Sytky. I presume when you say log books, you mean the Tech log?