Certification differences

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Certification differences

Post by Mark H » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:52 pm

A Quick Question, with I am sure a long answer. What is the difference between VLA Microlight and Normal Airplane? I know that there is a weight difference 450kg for microlights 560kg for VLA but does a VLA have to be a homebuilt? What are the differences for the owner? And for the Piolt, I have only ever flown normal Catagory.

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:59 pm

The VLA is a small aeroplane which does not have to meet the full strictures of ICAO Annex 8 or JAR 23 for airworthiness certification

There are no operational limitations outside of what is to be expected in a light aircraft's flight manual.

PPL or any National Unrestricted Licence for single-engined landplanes suffices. Cannot be flown on microlight-only licences

I havae never thought of a VLA as othere than normal - and very sensible at that

Enjoy

Maurice

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Mark H » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:36 pm

Thanks for the input. As I have done most of my flying in weston not for the last couple of years I have not had any experience of them. What are the safety statistics like for this type of aircraft compared to the normal catagory? What makes of aircraft of these types are being flown in Ireland? Finaly for the moment where could I try one out in Ireland? thanks for the help.

Mark

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:41 pm

They do put manners on their pilots - and well-mannered pilots tend to crah less

Galway and Portlaoighse is where I believe the can be found - but I don't havae specifics

Maurice

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:55 pm

Mark,

A microlight class aircraft, as you say, is restricted to an allup weight of 450kg. however, many of these aircraft can operate at ranges in excess of this, allowing extra instrumentation, fuel tanks etc to be included. They then operate on a permit, and you need a PPL(A) to fly same. Often, but not always, they will be imported as a kit and constructed under the eye of SAAC.

Ay Ultraflight, we have a Samba XXL which is in the microlight class, but can also be oiperated under a Permit. You should note that the classes are not interchangeable, once you put it on a VLA Permit, it cannot revert to microlight & vv.

If you want to know more, send me an email at brian@ultraflight.ie
If you're in the Abbeyshrule area, drop in and we'll give you more info.

Best regards,

Willo

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Mark H » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:39 pm

They tend to put manners on pilots? What does this mean?

Next time I am flying I will have a look at the Samba Wilo. I remember doing many touch and gos at Abbeyshrule so at least I should be able to find my way!

Mark

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:51 am

Mark

There are 2 VLA/Microlight aircraft in Kilrush. Most people think of microlights as those little aircraft where you sit out in the wind that have fabric covered wings. There are now 2 of the modern microlights in Kilrush. a Tecnam and a Zodiac CH601XL. I'd think that you would have problems identifying the 2 aircraft as microlights as they look very similar to what I would call conventional aircraft.

In the pilot lounge in Kilrush there is a notice from the owner of the Tecnam giving rides to anyone who is interested. I'm just getting to know my CH601XL but once I've got about 20 hours under my belt I'd be happy to let you have a ride in it.

There is a Eurostar agent just outside of Portloise, There is another agent in Galway selling rather good looking glass fibre mircolights. The choice of aircraft in Ireland is expanding all the time

good luck

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:18 am

Hi guys,

Yoyo mentioned the Tecnam VLA at Kilrush. This aircraft is featured in the next Issue of the magazine. Mick Bevan wrote a brilliant review of it. Essam was also kind enough to invite us down for a flight in it. What a wonderful aircraft. Below is a picture taken last Thursday at Kilrush with the editor on board.

[img]http://www.flyinginireland.com\/upload_files/LX-TRE.JPG[/img]

Regards,
Mark