This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Maxalpha
Unverified User
Unverified User

Cork airshow 2005

Post by Maxalpha » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:47 am

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has heard of an airshow in Cork this summer as part of the Capital of culture festivities?
I seems like a great idea.
cheers.

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:19 pm

There was talk last year about a Hot Air Balloon fest in Fota during May, but I havn't heard anymore since. :?
Here's the link:
http://www.flyinginireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195
The last time there was an airshow in Cork (1987 I think), It was cancelled because of the fog :evil:
Regards,
Aidan

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:51 pm

Lol, typical; EICK is a fog magnet. What a cool idea though - and it could really be pushed becuase of the Capitol Of Culture we have this year.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:25 pm

i dont see the prob of having an airshow somewhere like youghal strand or even rosscarbery area?? what do ye think??

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:10 pm

Never seen Youghal strand or Rosscarbery; is there an airfield anywhere nearby? My knowledge of Cork is shockingly dismal... lol
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:45 pm

If there was any proper sort of airshow (not a fly-in type thing), it would have to be held at EICK. Are there airfields at Youghal Strand, and Roscarbery?
That balloon show was fairly advanced in the planning stages I thought last year, but now it seems to have disappeared. It's a pity, as it would have been interesting to see the hot air balloons for a change........
Regards,
Aidan

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:41 pm

well there is none but sure it can be like salthill,except cork airport is further to the strand than salthill strand is to carnmore!!!

Captain Hafez
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Captain Hafez » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:03 pm

what about down near the old head... that would be really cool aswell

The Blimp
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by The Blimp » Thu May 05, 2005 8:26 am

Hi guys. I was the one who posted that original thread linked to above, and yes we were very much advanced for Fota this year (planned for end of May). We had the sponsorship, participants, site, etc. We had also been in discussions with the IAA and ATC (local and national) since we would have been operating in EICK's airspace (we did run a 'test' event in May of 2004 with 16 balloons from the same site, but it was only a test and not open to the public). However the full roll-out of the event was conditional on two areas of support from a particular organisation which 'may or may not' be involved with this whole Cork2005 thing. All of this support was commited to (verbally) throughout last year but in November they pulled the plug - several years worth of hard work down the swanny!!! Anyway, we're now looking to relocate the event to an alternate site for next year and are in advanced discussions for same. I'll post details as soon as they're confirmed and, who knows, we may even run our own internal comp. here for some balloon rides. If anyone wants to know what an event of this scale is like just google Bristol Balloon Fiesta
Watch me try this!

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Cork Airshow

Post by shrtfld » Thu May 05, 2005 11:59 am

I remember many years ago (probably 1985 or 1986) the Aer Rianta Air Spectacular was scheduled for Cork in July. I was a crowd marshal for the event as were all the guys from the flying clubs in Cork at the time.

Guess what - fog, sierra hotel one tango, mist - you name it - it drifted in off the south coast Saturday night and sat on the airport all day Sunday. As I recall the sun was splitting the rocks some 30 miles north. RTE were telling people that the show was cancelled and to go home. Some thought it was a joke given how good the weather was elsewhere in the country.

I only recall one aircraft getting in our out of Cork - an Aer Corps King Air which was doing a weather recce. The star act - The Italian Frecce Tricolori sat on the ramp all day. They did a formation departure over the city the following morning - a great sight.

After that unfortunate disaster I doubt anyone in their right mind would ever again take the commercial risk associated with an airshow at or based out of EICK for local seaside venues (Old Head, Youghal etc.).

Now Shannon on the other hand would be a good alternative especially with the road systems in the area. One of the most successful Air Spectaculars ever, took place there in 1987.
Shrtfld

Buzz Lightyear
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Buzz Lightyear » Thu May 05, 2005 2:02 pm

Think your dates a boit mixed up there olf friend, it was 1990 the air spec in snn and i wouldnt call it a sucess they kept the airport open for the event and the crowd line was about 1000 metres away from the action with aheap of gaps between acts.
Good line up mind you :oops:

Michael Gilligan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Michael Gilligan » Thu May 05, 2005 3:30 pm

I remember Shannon and it was very poor as far as air shows go, plenty on the ground but with very little flying, I remember a US Phantom took of to do a display but the airport got busy so he was forced to call it off and return, he never went up again.
You cannot hold an air show at a airport such as Shannon unless the airport closes and there is no hope of them doing that.

Michael
Michael Gilligan

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Airdisplays

Post by shrtfld » Thu May 05, 2005 3:57 pm

I stand corrected on the date . Age is an awful impediment. Affects the memory. Agree the static display was good. Probably a touch of local bias regarding Shannon.
Shrtfld

Brian McGrath
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Brian McGrath » Thu May 05, 2005 4:39 pm

I was at the Shannon show as well and they had a great static display, best i ever saw in Ireland, the Galaxy was brilliant to walk through, :D dont worry about Shannon shrtfld, with out the help and support that we get at Shannon for the Air Show at Salthill it would be very difficult to operate, they are and have been since 1994 brilliant and can never do enough to help us.

Brian