Aer Arann to fly to the US
  • ronnie3585
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Aer Arann to fly to the US

by ronnie3585 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:51 am

Just read on p3 pf todays Times that Aer Arann are hoping to set up a route from Cork to Boston and NY in the next 18 months.
    Where are they planning to get the money for the new aircraft etc? I know Aer Arann is very profitable, but they're going to need a big investor to come on board if they want to make this happen.
  • Cleared2Land
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Cleared2Land » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:02 pm

That's fantastic news!!! Hope the report is accurate.
  • conor_mc
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by conor_mc » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:40 pm

I would have considered them to be very profitable in terms of the scale of their operation, but not profitable to the extent of purchasing a longhaul aircraft.

I suppose a lease agreement isn't out of the question. Best of luck to them with it.
  • Chaos
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Chaos » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:20 pm

This is very interesting news. I wonder if they are working on the notion of leasing suitable aircraft and contracting crews to operate the schedules "or" upskilling selected existing staff?

I suppose signoff to operate this service will need to come from Government and possibly Brussels as they've been receiving forms of financial assistance, etc.

Can Cork handle fully loaded heavies heading to the States?
  • dowlingm
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by dowlingm » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:50 pm

They really need to get their Irish operation in order first.

Their PSO dependence has led to a lot of uncertainty with regard to the ATR fleet, and the CAT2 situation with numerous ORK diversions is getting untold bad press.
  • EIDEL
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Aerarrann. air bread.

by EIDEL » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:52 pm

LOL :roll: I suppose they will be digging aerlingus's old constellations and viscounts out of retirement for the prop image :lol: They will do better than Ryanair in the long ---------- run :o DEL
  • Frosty
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Frosty » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:09 pm

Chaos wrote:Can Cork handle fully loaded heavies heading to the States?

Cork can handle fully loaded B757 and 767, and the older generation 747's. Cork wouldn't have any trouble in that respect once it's nothing like B777.
    Cork is prone to a lot of fog due to its location, but can't upgrade to CAT3 beacuse of restrictions with the proximity of the ramp to the runway. I don't want to sound like a pesemist, but I can't just see Arann going from ATR's to the West of the UK, to the US. It's too big a jump for them. It's sounds like the classic case of the rumour growing legs!
    Regards,
    Aidan
  • Michael J Gallagher
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Michael J Gallagher » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:43 pm

I guess its really down to the PSOs.If they get them theres a chance they may start going TA.
  • dowlingm
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by dowlingm » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:10 am

PPRuNe rumours: FR and Cityjet applied for Derry, BMI for Derry, Knock and Kerry, Loganair/Air wales/euromanx made apps, flybe withdrew theirs (possibly due to uncertainty about their RJ acquistion - corrosion issues)