This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

CPL MEP & MEIR - Where to train?

Post by GJOYT » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi all.

Just looking for advice on how to approach this next. I am currently doing my ATPL's and have all the hours needed to progress on to CPL after I get these exams out of the way!

I am unsure what to do after this and in what order. My aim is to do this as cheaply as possible and I am not concerned as to what some people think of CPL flight training in the US. I am trying to figure out if it is more beneficial to do the CPL/ME and then do an ME/IR or do the ME/IR first and then do the CPL/SE as you get a reduction of 10hrs for already having your instrument rating. Is there a reduction in hours with the ME/IR if you do a CPL/ME first?

If anyone could recommend any flight schools too I'd greatly appreciate it. I've already been looking at Naples Air Center, Aerodynamics (Málaga) and Barltolini in Poland.

Your thoughts and advice on this guys please.

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Re: CPL MEP & MEIR - Where to train?

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 pm

I'm currently at the Diamond Flight Academy, Kalmar Sweden. Very happy so far, albeit just my first week here.

If you go the FAA route be very careful about how you're going to convert it to EASA under the new EU regs. There's a lad here who's having big issues converting his FAA SEIR into an EASA MEIR. By the way, he also described NAC and here as chalk and cheese.

Another thing, don't be so sure that the cheapest advertised, will always work out the cheapest.

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I should have mentioned that I would only be going to EASA/CAA approved schools so there would be no conversion so my bad for that.

Are you doing CPL and ME/IR in Sweden?

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:43 am

Ah okay, but even if you're doing EASA training in the US, you'll still need to come back to Europe for your IR.

Yeah I'm doing the CPL/MEIR here at the moment, just started but everything seems above board. I completed the multi-engine in the first 4 days and I start the instrument course today. It's very efficiently run.

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Yes I am aware of that. I'm looking at doing the IR in Poland or Spain.

Did you do CAA or IAA ATPL's? Will you end up with a Swedish Commercial Licence?

I worked out the course to be €23k which excludes aircraft rental for test and the associated fees for that too. Did you consider anywhere else? Hope I don't sound negative I'm just very curious about what to do.

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 pm

No, it's good that you're looking around. This place isn't the cheapest, it's also far from the most expensive. The reason I picked it was, the instructors seemed excellent, the equipment seemed excellent, they get it done quickly and the price was fair. It works out about 25k when you add accommodation and skills tests to it.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't look too deep into the Eastern Europe or Spanish schools. I guess when I was looking initially, I came across this place and set it as a bench mark, as I liked the whole ethos of the operation. I didn't really find anything else that compared, so I said I'd take a visit and see if it met the expectations I had for it. In the end it exceed them. I also visited the schools at home and although they seemed like decent schools, they were a lot more expensive and still didn't seem to match what DFA has to offer.

If your objective is to get it done as cheap as possible, go for it. At the end of the day, it'll be the same license. Just make sure you visit the place first to make sure the price adds up and that what they're advertising is what you're going to get. And, you'll also get a better idea of whether or not they're complete spastics or not. Just hop on a cheap flight and check them out before committing.

Best of luck with it,
Bob

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:06 am

What would be your advice for me then? What schools might you know of that you suggest I look up? I feel that I could spend days endlessly doing this :?

Yes visitng beforehand is definitely a good idea! I like the brutal honestly of the second last line as it gave me a good laugh :lol:

Cheers :)

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:08 am

make sure you get a complete breakdown of costs and fees, in case there are any unannounced fees such as landing/navaids/approach charges that might be tacked on later. Watch also for credit card charges, as US schools charge you extra for non-US credit card payments.You really do need to pay attention to cash outflow.

regards
Stovepipe

martins
Verified User
Verified User

Post by martins » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Bob, I was trying to write you an email, but either you didn't receive it or you have changed your email address - how are you getting on, are you working as a pilot nowadays? Just wondering if guys from Diamond academy are getting jobs or not

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:37 am

Hi martins,

One of my former PPL students went to Diamond Flight Academy last year and he was very happy with them. He did the MCC at Simtech around October and got a job in Ryanair in December. He starts his TR next week.

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

martins
Verified User
Verified User

Post by martins » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:28 pm