This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Cub driver
Verified User
Verified User

Piper Cub L4 in Ireland

Post by Cub driver » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Good evening,

I am new in the forum and look forward to the replies.

I am trying to find out the history of a Piper Cub L-4 that was sold in Ireland around 2007. It was a converted J3 project (an L4 with the D windows) that eventually ended up in the UK. Although it did not look like a Piper L4, it is most probably one. Some of the rear desk lugs (which are particular to the type) were still there, it had the leveling points on the left longeron next to the sliding window and a lot more of welding scarfs where the typical back belt attachments were. It also came with wooden spars and a bunch of smaller parts which were mostly in a bad shape. Somebody must have done a lot off work to get rid of those particular L4 marks or it was really a J3 but this would be very unlikely.
If my information is correct, it was sold by the 2007 owner of EI-CUB. He started the restoration of EI-CUB and sold his other project which was this particular L4. There are traces of that aircraft in the internet that are post 2007. I would like to know what happened with it before and where it came from.
If my research is correct, we are most probably looking in the vicinity of Galway.

I would appreciate any tips or clues on the owner of that aircraft or where it came from. I will be discrete when required. I am able to provide some pictures.

There are several L4´s in Ireland that were all used during WW2. Their history is not always that clear as they used the L4´s for artillery spotting and liaison duties on the field. Detailed records are mostly not available. The delivery records are easy to obtain but the rest is like winning a lottery.

Looking forward to any information prior 2007.

With the best regards,
Cubdriver

Roll_your_own
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Piper Cub L4 in Ireland

Post by Roll_your_own » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 pm

Check your P.M.s.
J. K.

Cub driver
Verified User
Verified User