Weston

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT »

For WAAS an LAAS systems to be constructed in Ireland would be an emense cost and will be a very very long time before it happens.
The reason WAAS and LAAS is not been incorporated yet in Europe or in Asia is due to the fact of cost and it has yet to prove itself as a reliable system and by proof I mean the relative agencies especially in Asia would like to see the system in operation for at least 10 years in the states and even then progress is slow. The cost is of course due to upgrading and construction of the numerous ground stations needed to support a WAAS/LAAS network. MLS was of course experimented with years ago and never made it mainstream and it had huge advantages similiar to WAAS/LAAS. Why would Ireland want to upgrade to this system when there is a perfectly fine system in operation now. The US has an emmense amount of traffic and big airfields with real nice appraoches nicely paid for by the state, We cant even get a low cost terminal built in our cities capital. Dream on for system upgrades.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

Just to let everyone know that I asked Mark if he would make this thread a Sticky, which means it will be kept at the top of the Forum.
I expressed my opinion to Mark that the problems at Weston with the Local Community was an important one, not just the people who fly from Weston but a wider issue for G.A in Ireland. He kindly agreed to make it a sticky and merge some of them into one.

The idea behind it is that there have been numerous threads on Weston and it would be more productive to bring them together as a focal point and to keep the issue fresh in everyones mind. So any articles in the Newspapers or updates can be posted here.

From todays Irish Independant: http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ ... e_id=12247

MILLIONAIRE developer Jim Mansfield yesterday hit back at criticism of his plans to develop the Weston Aerodrome into a major airport for executive jets.

An application has also been made for a "safeguarding map" around the airport, effectively an exclusion zone for any future development directly under the flight path of aircraft.

Local politicians in the Kildare area are objecting to plans to upgrade the airport from Code 1 to Code 3 status, insisting this will increase the airport's permitted runway length and its capacity.

Such a move would introduce the possibility of the airport accepting larger commercial traffic.

There are widespread concerns about the implications of extending the use of Weston, which is near Celbridge, for the thousands of people living in the north Kildare/ west Dublin area.

Senan Griffin, Fine Gael councillor for Maynooth, claimed the quality of life of those living in the area has already been adversely affected because of an increase in the number of landings and take offs.

Kildare Co Council will today decide on a proposed upgrade of the airport as part of the Draft County Development Plan.

Mr Mansfield said yesterday he just wanted to ensure there would be no building under the flight path of the airport towards the west.

A massive hedge-cutting operation at Weston along the Celbridge to Lucan road has dramatically changed the landscape in the area in recent weeks. However Mr Mansfield denied that trees had been cut.

Mr Mansfield told the Irish Independent yesterday his plan for Weston was concentrated on executive jet business, with groups flying in for conferences and rugby matches.

He said the aerodrome had mainly been used for training purposes and had become far safer and quieter in recent years. He said the runway for planes heading west was 1,410 metres which qualified for Code 3 status.

He said he had not been involved in talks with Arab interests who wanted to store jets at Weston, but they were interested in the jet storage business.

A meeting of Kildare Co Council heard that only aircraft with a wing span of 15 metres were allowed to use the facility at present. The proposed expansion plans would accommodate aircraft carrying up to 19 passengers..

A consultant has claimed that aircraft exceeding this are already using the facility in a clear contravention of the regulations. But yesterday Mr Mansfield dismissed these claims.

South Dublin County Council recently refused planning permission for a hotel and leisure complex on farm lands attached to Weston airport as it would lead to an intensification of development at the aerodrome.

Treacy Hogan
Environment Correspondent

Post by Guest »

[quote] However Mr Mansfield denied that trees had been cut.
[/quote]

Why do I not believe he actually said that, sounds like press spin to me!
That man really needs to hire a PR agent, he is getting blown apart in the press, he cant be all that bad!

I have been away since before Christmas, and was out in Weston the other day, a new hanger, and Tower had just popped up, faster then a new Resident committee at the end of a runway could ring a politician!

Anyone who can make so much progress so fast, in this country deserves a medal!

dowlingm
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dowlingm »

I can't believe Weston is allowed expand like this and BAL is sitting there for the Air Corps' few movements. It just makes no sense.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Its beyond me.

Post by Lambada Crazy »

Its really beyond me why people build houses at the end of runways. At waterford there are people built houses at the threshold of runway 21, eventually if we decide to extend they will get a CPO and they will be knocked. Many years ago a woman rang the airport complaining about two loud green airplanes flying over her house at 8:30 am and it was waking her up, It turned out it was the air core and she wasnt going to complain, she had spent something like 25,000 on getting a person to find out the best location in ireland, (at the end of a runway) :lol:
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Its beyond me.

Post by RV BLUE »

[quote="Lambada Crazy"]Its really beyond me why people build houses at the end of runways.

It happens the world over, my airport(or rather the one I use) is the same. Houses are being built at both ends of the runway, excluding the narrow safety zone. Always plenty of complaints, from new homeowners, amazed, and shocked to find an airport "in thier back yard." Then these people gravate to the leaders of opposition groups who use "shock value" to stimulate large numbers of members, and so on.......

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle »

Building houses needs planning permission.
Planning permission in Irelands recent past used to come via politicians and developers via brown paper envelopes. This is how Weston Park came to be and the local politician has done time for withholding information regarding such transactions.

I live beside Dublin airport in a development that was mentioned in the Flood/Mahon tribunal that had no services associated with the land therefore no way to build on for residential. The land was bought for feck all and then hey presto, water, sewage, houses. These developer have paid each other dividends of 17M euro each year in the last 2 years.

That why people build houses near runways and airports.
Not because they can, but because they make sure they can.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

That man really needs to hire a PR agent,

... help was offered not long after the takeover of Weston.

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat »

i see Donacomper is for sale, a huge tract of landing on the approach path to the west. This may go for massive money if Mr M really wants it as it could solve a lot of his problems. Time will tell

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL »

:roll: Its all very well banging on and on about Weston ad infinitum. But what about Gormanstown . The army is on the brink of vacating this fine aerodrome . But if you think GA will in any way benefit from this you have the screaming hab-dabs at 45000ft. Not without a big shove by all at their politicians. This is the perfect place for a major aeronautical development . How say all of you . DEL

Chaos
Unverified User
Unverified User

Gormanstown

Post by Chaos »

Gormanstown Aerodrome is State asset. If / when the Dept. of Defence decide to vacant the facility, I can't imagine the Government off loading this land bank to the general aviation community, irrestpective of amount of cash the exchequer may bag for any such sale. I would hazarda a guess, the land will be rezoned resisdental. Politically, housing demand is a priority task for the capitals growing population.

But yes, Gormanstown will be an ideal location for a new GA facility, with less 'baggage' as associated with Weston. However, I imagine JM & Co have a grand vision for Weston, i.e. somewhere to direct bizjets when / if they manage breath life to speculations regarding the possible exploration of a Formula One internation circuit somewhere in the extended South / West Co. Dublin lands. This is a bold and visionary idea but has serious revenue potentials for the Exchequer! City West, golf, Weston, join the dots . . .

Of course this is pure speculation . . . but watch this possibility!

conor_mc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by conor_mc »

I believe Gormanston is one of the sites earmarked for the governments affordable housing scheme. Pity, it'd be nice to only have to travel 2 miles to an airfield! :wink:

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat »

I think this post should be unstuck as it is taking away from more upto date posts

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

Bearcat wrote:I think this post should be unstuck as it is taking away from more upto date posts

Here, Here! Why does Weston get all the attention. This is afterall http://www.flyinginireland.com, and not a Weston site. It's a bit unfair, and detracts from other posts with relevence to a wider audience.. :D
Regards,
Aidan

lazza
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lazza »

de-stick it, it's always rehashes of old stories anyway, planning problems or neighbours.