Moderator: mark

mikeyP
Verified User
Verified User

Doubt!

Post by mikeyP » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi All,
Just after some advise...

I've just started my Navagation part of my PPL and well it was a bit of a reality check on how much a could remember from my PPL exams...

Im now doubting wether I should continue on after my PPL.

Like im not the smartest person going and well I do find it hard to study... In reality... will I ever become a pilot? I love flying so much and my instructor has said I am good at flying... Its just alot of money to invest in something that could fail.

Anyone else in same boat that has maybe made it all the way? Or is it normal to freak out at this point?

Mike

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Doubt!

Post by Pilot » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 pm

I think most people stuggle with navigation at some point. The first time that you find that you don't really know where you are will always come as a wake up call. So don't take it too hard.

Are you learning to fly as a hobby or are you intending to go commerical?

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi Mikey,

If you're doing the Nav, it probably means that you have gone solo, so you have done the hardest & scariest part of the course.

After a few flights, you'll learn the landmarks, get used to the map & be able to pick your whereabouts on the great canvas 2000' below you.

Your instructor will keep you in check as you build up your confidence & ability, so stick with it & enjoy being away from the circuit.

And don't forget, ATC is there to help you also, so if in doubt, ask somebody.

Best of luck with the flying.

brian

mikeyP
Verified User
Verified User

Post by mikeyP » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I have 3 hours solo circuits and about 20 hours dual flying. My flying is fine, its just the knowledge I'm lacking.

The plan is to go commercial, just thought that if I'm struggling now then what will it be like when doing my ATPL course ect...

Your comments have made me feel a bit better so thanks for that!

Its definately been a wake up call!

Thanks again!

Rev
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Rev » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi,

Why don't you grab yourself a copy of Microsoft Flight Sim (X is the last version). You can download off the web the Irish airstrips. And you can even get fairly detailed photographic scenery of Ireland too.

With that installed and running you can practice your navigational/ cross country exercises before you fly. You have all the NDB's, VOR's, Weather, Airstrips, ATIS's etc. and can fly in real time from say Shannon --> Cork --> Waterford. Practice your headings, timings, VOR readings etc. all on the ground.

The best thing is if you make a mistake you just press the reset button, have a cup of tea and try again!

Rev.

xpro
Verified User
Verified User

Post by xpro » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi.
As you find the Nav is not an easy subject. But practice makes it better.
I was a little bit rusty myself when i started my PPL, and i also found the Nav quite challenging , not the flying part but all the calculations,1/60 rules, inversions, etc. But the more you get stuck into it, the more you practice it gets easier.

Im doing my Atpls now and the Gen nav subject is much tougher then ppl level, but im moving along just fine. A few hiccups but in the end if you put the effort in, its doable.

Good luck and safe flying :D