No more AOPA Ireland?

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

No more AOPA Ireland?

Post by mark » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:23 am

According to the message on their website http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From 5th March 2013, AOPA Ireland is no longer a subscribed Association. It exists as a voluntary organization, and when notifications are available, they will be despatched asap to anyone who is registered as a free member in our Database above..
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Demonduck
Verified User
Verified User

Re: No more AOPA Ireland?

Post by Demonduck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:44 pm

I am a member of Aopa and I appreciate the efforts Aopa do for us pilots worldwide but I am not so sure about the Irish branch/ representatives.Is it just me or can someone shed some light on the subject as they seem to keep a very low key profile and no action but just talk?
This post may annoy a few but it is a forum for opinion and chat and that's the option I have gotten.

William

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Demonduck wrote: just talk?

William
Is that not how progress is made and agreements are reached?
Quite clearly, you sound like the others who never attended any meetings, otherwise, like the rest of us you would know differently.
There is a LOT of work that goes on which is not visible to non participants.

You admit membership but, can I just ask you one simple question,
Have you participated in many, if any, of the projects that were carried out by aopa over the past 4 years?
From my own experience, I have noticed that Ireland possesses more than their share of “fence sitters”. This is the ONLY reason that authority here has a free reign, and it will continue until something is done about it. Why does the irish people allow this situation this to happen? For your own sakes, get off the fences, and support our freedom to fly.

I believe this is a new beginning for aopa Ireland instead of the end.
As they are now a voluntary association, they are no longer under the restrictions of their regional or international bodies, but can still work in unison with them.

I may even take up residency at home again and fight the cause myself! Who knows? :lol:

Freedom of the skies to all.
Kitty x.
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Well said Kitty. Not being a pilot myself I joined as an associatted member because I believed only a large membership would have any impact on aviation policy in Ireland. But that membership has to work as one group and not sit back and expect those apparently at the "top" to do all the running, fetching and carrying.
Without input and physical help from the membership, the"top few" will flounder under the massive burden of trying to run an association in their limited free time. Even though membership fee's were charged, these would never cover all expenses. So you will have a situation where a few unpaid individuals are doing their best to run an organisation and finding themselves having to use their own resources and funds to do so.
I can only imagine that most of the membership feel they have paid the annual fees and that they can just sit back and wait for for the good times to roll. Unfortunately life's not like that and any gains made have to be worked at.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:48 pm

hugoj_air wrote: I can only imagine that most of the membership feel they have paid the annual fees and that they can just sit back and wait for for the good times to roll. Unfortunately life's not like that and any gains made have to be worked at.

Hugo.
Spot on Hugo, although i would not say "Most" of them. There was a great bunch among them during my time :)
However the non participants seem to have a mis-coneption of what an association really is.
"An association is a group of persons, having common views, associated or organized for a common end. The main feature of an association is that it is meant for certain definite purpose or purposes which are realized through the co-operative efforts of its members.

An association cannot do everything. The main purpose of its organizations is the achievement of certain limited purpose through combined action. In short, all associations or social organizations exist to satisfy some important human wants."

Kitty x.
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 pm

[quote"kitty"]
"An association is a group of persons, having common views, associated or organized for a common end. The main feature of an association is that it is meant for certain definite purpose or purposes which are realized through the co-operative efforts of its members.

An association cannot do everything. The main purpose of its organizations is the achievement of certain limited purpose through combined action. In short, all associations or social organizations exist to satisfy some important human wants."

I believe this is a new beginning for aopa Ireland instead of the end.
As they are now a voluntary association, they are no longer under the restrictions of their regional or international bodies, but can still work in unison with them.
[/quote]

Thanks Kitty, I stand corrected by your better knowledge and understanding of the membership. And to the members I ask you all to re-read again Kitty's very succinct message's above.
Can I assume you dont want to read dictate's coming down to you from all the different aviation regulatory bodies in Ireland and the EU telling you WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, HOW, WHY and at what COST you can fly your micrilight, aircraft, helicopter, balloon, glider, parachute, rc model etc, etc without as much as a word spoken in your defence. Because to my un-tutored eye, that is exactly what is happening NOW.

There are many aviation related groups In Ireland. On their own they are struggling to exsist. For the life of me I cannot understand why YOU ALL cannot get together to act as one group and try to fight the onlsaught that has already started. NAMI has made a great attempt in order to achive some movement from the IAA only to end up being kicked in the teeth for their trouble. The impression I get is that the regulator's are only too happy to see small disperited groups with no bite, sometimes apparently bickering amongst themselves, because it makes their lives one hell of a lot easier instead of having to deal with a tough determined light aviation community.

To fly or not to fly, THAT is the question. Because if nothing is done in your favour soon, then you will in future find it very difficult to get ANYTHING into the air at all. You may have noticed that some county councils are getting very interested in flying from fields. Any action by them could have a devestating effect on ALL types of flying by creating another nail for the coffin of light aviation in Ireland. Over to you guys!!

Be it right -be it wrong, that's how I see it.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:39 pm

It is a pity this resurrection of AOPA Ireland didn't take off. I have been away from flying for a few years so just trying to come up to speed on the sequence of events over the past 4 years.

Are there any minutes of committee meetings available to read?

I have met Jim. Who exactly are Bernie and Kitty? Any contact numbers in the interests of transparency? Anyone met face to face? Its just that the writing style is very similar (along with other users on this forum) that I wonder if they are real people :D

Was AOPA Ireland ever registered as anything but a business name? Meaning, in the absence of a corporate identity, was it only ever one individual who also had the business name 'AOPA Ireland'.

I have pasted the latest 'newsletter' below which states that AOPA Ireland is now a one man band, but still fly-ins, an air-rally and government protests are planned. Seems somewhat delusional?

I don't think AOPA Ireland should proceed as a 'voluntary association' with 'Jim Breslin at the helm'. I would like to see those still involved to completely relinquish involvement and leave it dormant. There may be others who want to revive AOPA properly in the future and this situation may put them off...

Regards.
Hi Members,
Here we are, now in a voluntary capacity. I am naturally providing my time to make sure you our members still receive our updated newsletter. I have still only got around to re-imbursing about 20% of subscriptions to our subscribers, so if you haven’t received yours yet, please bear with me and I shall eventually get around everyone.
Bernie X,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AOPA Ireland – A Voluntary Association?

We, are now a voluntary body, that is how we shall remain until a solid structure may be foreseeable in time to come. As a volunteer body some changes have had to be made.
We still have Jim Breslin at the helm and we still have Bernie Oakman as a Secretary but there is now no other members on the committee. If further manpower is required, there will be the option of co-opting them.

The association will still operate for its members but under less pressure which was obviously due to non-participation by some committee members,
There are already plans being put into place by volunteers for an AOPA fly-in, a rather most unusual protest (which everyone will want to attend) and even possibly an air rally.
Keep watching the news section of our website http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for updates on these and other events.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Ceatach-Contact Jim and Volunteer your help.

Hugo.

Casey
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Casey » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:10 am

ceatach wrote: I don't think AOPA Ireland should proceed as a 'voluntary association' with 'Jim Breslin at the helm'. I would like to see those still involved to completely relinquish involvement and leave it dormant
[/quote]
Ahh! The loyal words of a true fence owner :lol: :lol: