Can Irish Aviation Community help me in my search?

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

patrickferry
Unverified User
Unverified User

Can Irish Aviation Community help me in my search?

Post by patrickferry » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Guys,
I know the Irish Aviation community is very far reaching in terms friends and knowledge so I am very hopeful some of you may know or know of someone who knows the company I am looking for.
I am trying to track down a company that did aerial photography over North West Donegal during 3 or 4 months of the summer of 2008.

They took a beautiful picture of my house which has been lost through an accident. The house and grounds have had major renovations since, so the picture is irreplaceable.
They were operating out of Carrickfin Airport in Donegal for several months and took photographs from Carrickfin Airport to the village of Creeslough. I’m fairly certain it was an English company as the guy that came to the door with the photo was English.

I think that the same company also did extensive aerial photography East of Letterkenny in Donegal during the summer of 2010, although I think they could have been operating out of Eglinton.
Any information you might have however small would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Patrick

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Can Irish Aviation Community help me in my search?

Post by hugoj_air » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi Patrick,

I'm a near neighbour of yours from outside Milford.
We have a copy of an aerial photo taken on the 21 Aug 2008 of my wifes home one mile from Carrigart, so more than likely the same aircraft that took your photo. Then on the 16 Sept 2010 an aerial was taken of of our own home but sadly no contact names or details available at all. I believe they were different aircraft and probably not the same people involved. Hope the dates are of some help.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

aviatorsguide
Verified User
Verified User

Post by aviatorsguide » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Probably these guys.

http://www.skytraxaviation.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doubt they keep the images afterwards, but maybe.

patrickferry
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by patrickferry » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi Hugo,

I’m not too far away in Dunfanaghy. Thanks for the detailed reply; it seems they were taking pictures over a wider area than I first thought. I think it might be the same guys as I also have reports of people in Raphoe and St. Johnston with similar pictures and there appears to be no overlap of the ground covered. That’s just my thought on it, but with two different aircraft it might be two different groups.

I checked the Skytrax Company but they said it wasn’t them. I have tried quite a few of these big aerial survey companies but I’m having no success. From what he said to at the time he sold me the photograph.
I got the impression they were just a few guys or a small company with a light aircraft and a very good camera who were in Donegal for the summer to make some money.

I don't think anyone would delete these type of photographs, as sets of aerial photographs this large would have a very good commercial value to companies like Skytrax

Patrick

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi Patrick,

When the guy came to my home with our aerial I just looked at the photo, liked what I seen and bought it. I didn't ask any questions, but the impression I got was that it was a private venture. I can only imagine that once they got all the sales they could in a particular area the would delete all data related to that area. I assume they used a top of the range digital camera with no need to store anything and when they finished for the season just cleared all data.

It would be nice to think they would offer for sale their complete collection to other aerial photo companies, but I don't think that would happen because it might create other problems.

Regards,
Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland