This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mikeyP
Verified User
Verified User

PPL to Instructors Rating

Post by mikeyP » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi All,

Just after some advise really... I will have a PPL by April (hopefully).

Im looking at going to an Instructors Rating so I can experience. Am I best of doing it in Ireland, UK, somewhere in southern Europe or the USA?

What is my best way of doing this? and do you have any idea of how much im looking at when including hour building ect...

Any Info would be amazing! My head is melted, I just cant wait to have a career in aviation!

Thanks for you help in advance :)

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: PPL to Instructors Rating

Post by vanman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Ask your Instructor.

But here you go:

http://www.nfc.ie/content.aspx?id=71&subid=98&pageid=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is very little point in getting an Instructor rating before you get your CPL and it's one of the toughest flight tests out there.

mikeyP
Verified User
Verified User

Post by mikeyP » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:14 pm

Appoligies, I didnt explain myself properly...

I will be doing my CPL first then Instructors Rating, I've just heard there is little work out there for pilots with low flying hours.

Thanks for the help.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Ah! There's little enough for Instructors as well.

stationaer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by stationaer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Personally I'd join a flying club here, get yourself established as a member and when you have done your ATPLs and CPL, do the FI rating as cheaply as possible- USA/Poland. Try to get instructing in your club for free. You're going to be restricted for your first 100 hours anyway, you always need the CFI to sign off your students for first solos etc. You may end up doing endless intro flights, but at least you won't be paying to fly. If you choose to get the FI rating with just a PPL, to do the course you will still need to meet the requirements for CPL, ie 200 hrs, CPL exams, 10 hours instrument instruction, etc.