AAIU Reports

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Figle
Verified User
Verified User

Re: AAIU Reports

Post by Figle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Well said lads this joker would not have the balls to even ring the IAA just come on here bitching and moaning about some AAIU report if he was serious about getting training he find a way like lots of other guys in the country. The Iaa is not perfect but they are what we have and we just have to live between there rules. But every person in this country has the right to training and it's something that needs to be put to bed once and for all by the IAA. But this joker is trying to break a egg with a hammer bitching and moaning about a late report like its going to make a massive difference
Rant over

Valentine
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Valentine » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi all Lynn will sleep sound to night, the long waited report is out today at long last :P

Lynn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lynn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Well now boys and girls isn’t this a great spell of weather. Airfields drying out and farmers busy pouring slurry over the countryside. It seems there’s a lot of it around this year by the looks of things ;-) But seriously though I love this time of year when the daylight hours are headed north again after a long dark winter and the housewives and homeowners are busy with the whitewashing. There are copious amounts of that around at the moment too. :roll:

It’s heart-warming to hear that the two lads involved in the accident have recovered sufficiently to “report” to the investigator. A cursory glance at the report leads to the following.

It strikes me that the investigator has a dearth of understanding of the workings of flexwing aircraft or the language of weightshift flying. For instance the use of the word manoeuvre thus ;- “The aircraft entered a partial tumble manoeuvre” or “The evidence suggests that during the exercise to simulate a stall occurring as a result of an engine failure after take-off, the aggressive lowering of the aircraft nose caused the aircraft to enter a partial tumble manoeuvre. As noted in the research quoted above, the tumble manoeuvre is normally unrecoverable” (btw it should say “generally unrecoverable”)

The only mention of the M word in the “research above” is “Failed loop (or other aerobatic) manoeuvre”

A dictionary search provides the following for Manoeuvre.
• an intended and controlled variation from a straight and level flight path in the operation of an airplane
• a movement or set of movements needing skill and care
• a planned movement of an aircraft in flight
• A controlled change in movement or direction of a moving vehicle or vessel, as in the flight path of an aircraft
• The operation of a ship, aircraft, or vehicle, to cause it to perform desired movements

Is the partial tumble part of the new syllabus from the Instructors and Examiners Panel? Or maybe the Quantum has special powers :twisted: A Quantum leap perhaps.

The following intrigues me “The aircraft was a standard Pegasus Quantum 912 with a current British Microlight Aircraft Association (BMAA) Permit to Fly”

There are pictures of the subsequent damage to the aircraft but why is there no picture of the control bar or the front strut which would have been the primary failure? Were the training bars fitted?

Was the instructors helmet found? Was the chin strap intact or did it fail when the helmet was “whipped from his head”

“This Investigation does not sustain any Safety Recommendations” Really Ted?

Finally Figle said.....” But this joker is trying to break a egg with a hammer bitching and moaning about a late report like its going to make a massive difference”

I have to admit you were right, It’s not going to make a massive difference

Next?
Lynn

Valentine
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Valentine » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:40 am

I read the report in detail and the whole thing baffles me , I have a couple of 100 hrs up on this particular type of flexwing and what the pilot and the instructor were doing is the opposite to how I was though to fly. It's like driving a car up the wrong side of the duel carriageway . Can any one tell me how the instructor had a rating on type with only 173 hrs ? And had this flexwing training bars fitted ?