Names and addresses on the IAA website
  • Flange Bracket
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Names and addresses on the IAA website

by Flange Bracket » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi

Having recently been the victim of a costly identity theft crime I've been reviewing my personal security arrangements. I've changed all my passwords, PIN numbers etc and upgraded my computer firewall. I've always been very careful about destroying any correspondence that might identify my home address if it fell into the wrong hands.

My only concern left is the fact that the IAA have made my name and address available to the whole world over the Internet. I don't ever remember giving them permission to publish my personal details as part of the Irish aircraft register. I don't mind my name being published but why publish my address? Has anyone ever tried to have their name or address removed from the published version of the register?

I currently gathering as much information as possible before I take this to the IAA and Data Commissioner. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

FB
  • StrikeCommand
    Verified User
    Verified User

Re: Names and addresses on the IAA website

by StrikeCommand » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 pm

That' s a good question Flange Bracket.
    A quick look at the IAA website tells you that Aircraft Registration is covered by SI 634 of 2005. Section 9, Sub Sections 3(a), (4) and (5) seem to be most relevant.
    3(a) says that the owners name and address must be on the register.
    (4) says anyone can inspect the register for a fee at a place and time decided by the IAA.
    (5) Says anyone can have a copy of a register entry again for a fee.
    Presumably a lot of this was drawn up at a time when the register consisted of a big ledger and the Internet was unheard of (even though it's an order from 2005!).
    Therefore the IAA don't need your permission to broadcast your name & address, because it's the law!
    The general public do not have access to the National Vehicle Register - you can't just look up someone's car registration number on the internet or anywhere else - only the Gardai and other state bodies like Motor Tax offices etc can do that. So why should aircraft be any different?
    The register sometimes gets used as a source of marketing information but in fairness I have only had 2 instances of that in just over 4 years of having my name on the register.
    The biggest problem about it I would say is that many people might make the mistake of thinking that because someone has an aircraft registered in their name, that that means they are "High Net Worth" individuals, whereas the reality for most GA people is that they are not wealthy but put everything into aviation. The general public doesn't know the difference between a tax exile's Learjet and a microlight!
  • vanman
    Verified User
    Verified User

by vanman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:27 pm

I don't know whether you'll get anywhere. The CAA and the FAA also make this information freely available. In fact the FAA also allow detail of holders of Airman's certificates to be seen on the internet. Even John Travolta and Tom Cruise's details are there for all to see. Mine as well.

I'm not aware of any controversy about it in either of those two countries.

Maybe you could use an accomodation address?
  • Camroc
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Camroc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 pm

http://www.regosearch.com/aircraft/ie/DAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you have a look around this site!!