Worth getting a loan for PPL?
  • mikeyP
    Verified User
    Verified User

Worth getting a loan for PPL?

by mikeyP » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 am

Hi All,

Im in the middle of doing my PPL, I've 19 hours done and its taking a while as I can only afford 2 or 3 lessons a month.

Is it worth me getting a loan for the rest of the licence so I can start hour building for my CPL or will I just take my time and have no debt...?

Any advice what be great.

• WingCommander
    Verified User
    Verified User

Re: Worth getting a loan for PPL?

by WingCommander » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi MikeyP

I would'nt advise getting a loan for a PPL. You'd be better to save up a few quid and do a completion in the US. If you're doing 2-3 lessons a month you must be spending the best part of €500 a month. Personally I would stop taking lessons here and the money you'd save up over a few months would pay for a trip to the US to complete the PPL. You'd get it all sorted in 3 weeks. Check out http://www.flyeasa.com/private_pilot.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
  • mikeyP
    Verified User
    Verified User

by mikeyP » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks WindCommander - did you use those guys? Do you know if they are any good?

I was looking at them to do my hourbuilding and EASA Airline Pilot programme next year.

Thanks
    WingCommander wrote:Hi MikeyP

I would'nt advise getting a loan for a PPL. You'd be better to save up a few quid and do a completion in the US. If you're doing 2-3 lessons a month you must be spending the best part of €500 a month. Personally I would stop taking lessons here and the money you'd save up over a few months would pay for a trip to the US to complete the PPL. You'd get it all sorted in 3 weeks. Check out http://www.flyeasa.com/private_pilot.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
  • Pilot
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Pilot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:26 pm

When I did my PPL, I did it with planning an around 4 hours per month. Obviously the weather took its toll on some of those, so three hours per month was probably what it ended up as.

I would not recommond getting into debt for a PPL. The flying doesn't really get much cheaper when you qualify. It may even get more expenisive as you tend to do more land aways with resulting landing fees etc. So then how do you fund the loan repayments? You'll probably end up stopping flying because you can't afford the flying and the loan repayments.

Take you time and enjoy it. A loan for a PPL isn't really a good idea in my opinion.
  • WingCommander
    Verified User
    Verified User

by WingCommander » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi MikeyP

I did most of my training with NFC in Weston many years ago but couldn't get the weather to do the cross X, so on advice I was told to do a completion with these guys. I got everything completed in about 2 weeks. got the cross X done within 3 days of getting there and went on to do the night rating. I would highly recommend them.