Building your own grass strip??

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Carrier Pigeon
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Building your own grass strip??

Post by Carrier Pigeon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:50 pm

Lads an awful lot depends on your local planning department. I spoke at length to the chief planning officer in my local authority and he advised me to put a goat or a couple of sheep to graze on the field and as far as he was concerned the field's main purpose was then grazing. The animals would be grazing 24/7 but you're only flying very occasionally. The only planning issues that he saw were to do with the Hangar.

By the way, sheep become very used as do all animals to aircraft. But sheep in particular get so used to you that they will play chicken with you when your coming into land and you sometimes have to do a few low swoops over them to get them to scatter out of the way !!!

And if you survive for 7 or more years without any objections to anything legal or illegal, you cannot be stopped by any laws.

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 am

It was such a lovely day today that i flew my chev back to ireland and landed on my family farm.
so good to be back on home soil.
i have been departing and landing there for the past 6 years without PP.
but there is no fence around it which could class it as a change of use from agricultural land.
and the goat must be tethered because she chases me along the strip! :oops:
(i would use this field perhaps a dozen times in a year at most)
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland

Carrier Pigeon
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Carrier Pigeon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:53 am

Yes, not having a fence is actually a bonus to the landing pilot - as this gives a run off area in the event of things not going according to plan.
There's a further bonus to having sheep grazing on your strip - their small feet smooth out the ground creating a fabulous runway surface.
The only down side is - the stuff they insist on depositing on the ground :x You need to wash it off your aircraft before it hardens otherwise it sticks like superglue :oops:

robertd
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robertd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:22 am

Yes Kitty I could see no way that your local council or an board Pleanala could ever infer that there is a material change in use from agriculture to aviation on your farm. A dozen times a year is absolutely minimal and it would be sheer lunacy if this was now classed as a "development" under the act and planning permission was required. On another note its unlikely that anyone in your locality would even be aware of your flying as the Chevvron is one of the quietest aircraft in the world, from experience you would only hear the faintest of murmur from the 2 stroke engine as they flew above you, they would have made a great reconnaissance plane :D I'd say you'd do well to keep the goat tied up, goats and chevvrons wouldn't mix too well I'd imagine :lol:

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:22 am

Generally, my neighbours would only know i am home again when i come into their kitchen for a coffee.
I normally would only perform a powered landing in conditions of high or indirect winds, this would be perhaps 2 out of every 7 landings, but i must emphasize that i have it well practiced and all dangers are carefully considered first.
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland