This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Seimi
Unverified User
Unverified User

Aerial Photography Flights Carlow and Dublin

Post by Seimi »

Hello,
My name is Seimi O Murchu. I am a PhD student in the UCD School of Archaeology researching the Irish uplands using aerial imagery which includes everything from Kite Aerial Photography to Satellite images. I am going through aerial photography sources in Ireland but one of the things I want to do is get up in the air myself over the areas I will be studying to get an idea of the landscape from that perspective and also to take some photographs for myself. Aerial photography will help identify previously unknown archaeological features in the uplands and will also help to enhance knowledge on previously recorded sites as the top-down perspective might highlight certain features such as banks and ditches which are otherwise invisible on the ground.

I was wondering if anyone here either flies themselves or knows someone who flies around the Blackstairs Mountains or the Dublin Mountains/ North Wicklow Mountains? These will be my study areas. What would the cost involved be for me to join someone on a flight to take photographs? What are the possibilities of flying the same area a few times a year to take advantage of differential vegetation growth and even snow cover? Preferably it would be a high winged plane where the window can be opened such as a Cessna 172. If anyone could help me with this I have a number of other questions but this hopefully will get the ball rolling for now.
Any help anyone can provide would be of great assistance to me
Thanks
Seimi

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Aerial Photography Flights Carlow and Dublin

Post by StrikeCommand »

A lot of these issues will have been covered in other posts on this site:
(a) A PPL (private pilots license holder) can't be paid to fly. A passenger can pay a share of fuel costs etc with the pilot paying a full share of the cost. Commercial (i.e. where money canges hands) aerial photography would be classed as aerial work and requires the pilot to have a CPL (commercial pilots licence). In the event of an accident, an insurance company might well try to repudiate the aircraft insurance policy on the basis that the policy holder was engaged in a commercial activity and not appropriatey licensed etc. Therefore you would be better off just trying to find someone who will bring you up without any talk of money!
(b) There is or certainly was in the past, a requirement to notify the Dept of Defence if you are carrying out aerial photography (presumably for fear you might photograph some military installation - and remember the Wicklow upland area you're interested in, includes the Glen of Imaal which is a military camp and firing range and the reason for the D5 danger area.)
(c) It would be better to use a twin engined aircraft if you're going to be hanging around the Wicklow Mountains at low level for any length of time -because in a single engine aircraft, if you had an engine failure there is little hope of making a successful emergency landing in that terrain. The Blackstairs might be different as it's an isolated and more confined range of mountains and you could probably glide clear and land on the Carlow side or the Wexford side.
A feature clearly visible from the air in this area which you probably know about is the ring fort at Rath - just north of Tullow. That whole area has small ring forts - e.g Liscolman townland (the name gives it away).

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

StrikeCommand wrote:A passenger can pay a share of fuel costs etc with the pilot paying a full share of the cost.
SC,

I'm not sure you're correct on this bit. I know the UK have an exemption that allows the passenger to pay a share, but I've never been able to find a similar provision in Irish leglisation.

The rest I agree with fully. I'd also add that most of the Wicklow mountains is under the Dublin Control zone with base altitudes that don't leave you a lot of room. So the pilot would most likely need a clearance from Dublin ATC which, depending on runways in use, might not be fortcomming on any given day.

P

aviatorsguide
Verified User
Verified User

Post by aviatorsguide »

Leaving aside the constraints already mentioned, most novice passengers end up taking crap pictures of the things they'd like to photograph. It a cold thankless job getting good accurate pics. My best recommendation is to go flying, perhaps for a lesson if you want a spin in a plane.

If you want really good accurate low level photo mapping then you need a UAV. Try this crowd http://asmireland.ie/ and give them an idea of the area you need covered. They can do about 100 acres in an hour, and the 2D orthographic survey you get is unreal. I have one done of the farm at home. She's a great job. It takes a priest to say mass, so you deceide how accurate/scalable your end product needs to be. Then either go flying, or get the subject area mapped with a drone.

They've almost stopped making good pilots, so the drones are taking up the slack 8)