This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Skyvector Worldwide

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:26 am

Hi guys,

Just spotted that skyvector is looking to broaden it's horizon beyond the USA. Very helpful when day dreaming in "work" about where to go flying. :) Probably best not to rely on it for actual flight planning. ;) I've spotted one or two mistakes already, but I guess it is Beta mode.

Anyway, have fun.
Bob

P.S. another handy one is carte.f-aero.fr it covers France, you might even improve your French while playing around with it :)

Aidoair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Skyvector Worldwide

Post by Aidoair » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:52 pm

I,m on skyvector now planning a flight for monday as its labor day here in the USA and my only day off this side of santa claus .!!!! , It is a great site , and now that they have a world vfr section makes the "big picture "even better . As a quick reference flight planner I would give it 10 out of 10 .. happy planning , thats if you have VFR weather to fly in ..

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:32 pm

It seems to be missing a lot of airspace around Shannon, Cork & Kerry.

Good for some quick "what if" but no replacement for something with proper airspace definations.

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 pm

It certainly is pilot, but I suspect they'll iron a lot of it out in the future, even with everything in place I'd still draw the lines on a real map before going flying to be honest. But when your dreaming up a trans continental trip it's much easier to mess around on these things the go down and spend over a 100 quid on maps :)
Hopefully it'll develop into something on a par with the coverage they have of the USA maybe using the Jepp maps.

Another one, if you're a fan of France, is carte.f-aero.fr similar idea but just of France also in French.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:34 pm

No argument there Bob ;)

I just wanted to point it out in case people place too much reliance on it's airspace depiction for areas that they aren't familiar with.

I imagine though that most pilots going beyond the home path these days have some sort of flight planning / gps system such as PocketFMS which they can do the "what if" thoughts on just as easily, but which has reliable airspace.

But for those that don't, I agree this could be useful so long as they understand it's limitations.

The French site, I'd seen before, but agree it's nice. One things there to be careful of is that the IGN charts that it uses only show airspace up to 5000ft/FL55. It's so easy to go higher in France, and often very useful to do so to avoid much airspace and to get less bumps ;)