Customs/Immigration, Fuel

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

philt
Verified User
Verified User

Customs/Immigration, Fuel

Post by philt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 pm

So, as I am further planning my trip to Ireland, I wonder i someone could help me with a few "technical" questions.

1. Customs/Immigration: I have read all I could find on the subject of customs/immigration when flying to Ireland, but didn't find much useful (most of the stuff is on UK requirements).

Let's assume I was coming to Ireland from France or from Germany, and want to land at an airfield that is not listed as a "customs airfield". What am I supposed to do? I know there is something like an irish GAR form, but it doesn't come with any kind of instructions. Where do I need to send it to? With how much lead time?

Now let's assume I was coming over from the UK, instead of France. I am familiar with the UK GAR requirements and so on...but what about the irish requirements? Is this case in any way different from the first case above (i.e. coming from France)? It has been suggested that in the scenario UK-->Irland, no formalities are required whatsoever for the irish authorities, and that I can thus land at any strip I like. Is that true?

Also, when leaving Ireland (towards UK or towards France) is there any requirement to use a customs airfield in Ireland?

2. Refuelling (Avgas) in Ireland: Again I have read all that I could find. I seem to understand that a a private flight leaving Ireland is entitled to duty-free fuel, but not to VAT-free fuel. Nevertheless, I have the impression that some irish airports happily sell you fuel at duty-free andVAT-free prices, without asking all too much weather the flight is entitled to VAT-free fuel. Is this correct so far? If yes, :wink: , which are the best places to get some duty-free (and possibly also VAT-free!) fuel before going back abroad? Can any airfield sell duty-free, or does this only work at the "bigger" ones? What about Abbeyshrule for example?

Again, thanks a lot to whoever can shed some light on this...

Cheers,
Phil

Flyingfarmer
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Customs/Immigration, Fuel

Post by Flyingfarmer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:43 am

Hi Phil,
Check your PM's

aviatorsguide
Verified User
Verified User

Post by aviatorsguide » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 am

On those two topic's all I can say :
Customs. The Irish GAR form just has to be faxed in to the number on the top of it 12 hours in Advance. There is an email option too, send it to KDEnforce@revenue.ie and if they want you then believe it - they'll get you. Prior notice all that you really need, and keep the form in block capitals, ideally emailed. The customs man doesn't do hand writing graphology.

Cheap fuel. You're best bet for that is Sligo, Enniskillen and Waterford. Just have a paper copy of your outbound flight plan for the refueller, as they always ask for it. No domestic priced fuel available in Abbeyshrule, go to Kilrush or Clonbullogue or indeed Navan instead.

8)

philt
Verified User
Verified User

Post by philt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:51 pm

William,

thank you first of all for the effort on the Ireland Guide. Nice work.

Re the GAR form, it really does not make much sense to me though...
Why should I send it to customs? When coming over from Europe, it should be immigration that is interested, but not customs...all is it all one agency in Ireland?

Phil

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Quote from Customs

Post by hum » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Quote from the manual on Customs control of airfields in Ireland:

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... siWEmQ1tlw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Implications of the Single Market

Following the introduction of the Single Market, normal Customs controls do not generally apply in respect of intra-Community flights, unless:
(i)Third country goods are carried on board;
(ii)Stores are carried on board;
(iii)Passengers who have originated in a non-EU country and not cleared at another EU airport are on board;
(iv)Goods carried on board are being exported to a non-EU Member State; or
(v)Customs intervention is necessary for purposes connected with the enforcement of a prohibition or restriction on importation or exportation.
The rules of the Single Market do not place constraints on the powers and responsibilities of Customs in respect of the enforcement of prohibitions and restrictions in general and the importance of combating the major threat of drug smuggling in particular. Officers should be aware of and constantly alert to their powers and responsibilities in this regard.

philt
Verified User
Verified User

Post by philt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:32 am

Well, just back from my flight, which involved N.I. --> Ireland and thereafter Ireland --> Channel Islands. Whilst I sent the relevant gar's all with loads of prior notice, I really didn't quite undertand how the system works or how it is supposed to work. i left my contact telephone number on all gar''s but nobody ever called back. i even tried to call the irish customs number in order to make sure all was done the right way, but nobody responded on a saturday morning. My impression is really that irish authorities normally don't care about europeans travelling in and out of the country on private pleasure flights (whilst the british authorities sometimes seem to do).

Any comments?

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:45 pm

I think you've summed it up quite well. They normally don't care unless something odd is flagged up. I would say the British would be more worried about something coming in from Ireland than the Irish are about aircraft coming from Britain.