This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

k

Post by JFH » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:32 pm

g
Last edited by JFH on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Who was before the IAA ?

Post by hugoj_air » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:00 pm

I believe it was the Department of Communications who controlled civil aviation in the Republic prior to the IAA.

I might be able to help with your search for info about the old aerodrome. If you could give me some details like the townland or any other name for the site. Also distance and heading from the nearest town would be a big help.

Regards,
Hugo
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:25 pm

z
Last edited by JFH on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Fado Fado the department was "Transport and Power". That said I don't know if it was so back in the thirties.
Shrtfld

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:13 pm

JFH wrote:Renvyle House located in North West Connemara hugoj.
JFH
I believe the first noted landing at this site was in 1928 by an Avro Avian.
Later in the summer of 1933 it was granted an aerodome licence it seems but from what authority remains unknown to me!
Thank you for "resurrecting" a missing piece of data I had stored in my docs and managed to loose in a 2006 computer upgrade. Also thank you shrtfld for the additional information which of course is of the correct period.

I know Oliver St.John Gogarty flew down from Dublin quite a bit and landed his Gypsy Moth at Renvyle and occasional other private aircraft visited the house up until the 1950's.
The site is now a Golf Course and has not seen a fixed wing aircraft for over 50 years I would say.
The golf course is a 9 hole par 3 and as far as I can see there is just one possible fairway which might be suitable as a landing strip. It's 395m 01/19 between Rusheenduff lough and the beach and is also a candidate for St.John Gogarty's landing strip, unless you know otherwise.

I'd like to see if I can find any offical records of it out of interest really.
It would be absolutely amazing if you could uncover the official grant of an aerodome licence.

Going to attempt a touch and go one of these days on the golf course for old times sake.. maybe even a full stop
I would be very interested if you manage to achive either of your goal's. Photo's of the endevour would be great.

Regards,
Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:54 pm

Before the IAA came into being, it was generally some form of the Dept of Transport. But it was frequently renamed as and when governments and ministers changed. It was Dept of Transport and power, Transport and Tourism, Dept of Communication and all three. Depending when you got your licence you have one or other of those titles printed on it. It was ridiculous.

But back in the twenties the Department dealing with aviation was the Dept of Industry and Commerce. So that's where you might want to look for your research.

pressman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by pressman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Before the IAA it was Aer Lingus in charge , now its Ryanair .

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:43 am

I may be wrong in my estimate but in the first 5 Months of 1928 it was the "Office of the Board of Travel" who governed all transport.
Amelia Earhardt was among one of those who contacted them this year.
Defending the rights of GA in Ireland.
http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;