Hayden Lawford RIP

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Michael Traynor
Unverified User
Unverified User

Hayden Lawford RIP

Post by Michael Traynor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Regrettably we are recording the passing of another legend of Irish aviation.

Hayden came to Coonagh in July 1961 conducting aerial photography work. In November 1964, having been checked out by Arthur Wignall, and with Bill Howarth as CFI, Hayden commenced operations as Shannon Flying Services. In August 1970 he flew to Arann Islands as a proving flight for what was to become Aer Arann. With the establishment of the fledgling airline Hayden became the company's Chief Pilot. He was instrumental in ensuring the airline continued to grow and become the successful airline it is today. Simultaneous to the creation of Aer Arann, Hayden assisted with the forming of the Limerick Flying Club also in 1970.

Hayden remained a pilot with Aer Arann until he hung up his wings a number of years ago. His other aviation passion was researching aviation history. He subscribed many articles to a variety of aviation publications. He published a wonderful biography of his father, Captain E. H. Lawford, one of the pioneers of aviation in south England in the 1920's. He also published the well respected "In Galway Skies".

On Thursday 7th June Hayden died suddenly in his UK home. His jovial, pleasant personality will be missed by many not only in Irish aviation, but whoever had the pleasure to come in contact with this 'gentle giant'. Many reading this message will have fond memories of encounters with Hayden.

Our sympathies and thoughts are with his family and his partner, Evelyn.
IONA

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Hayden Lawford RIP

Post by hugoj_air » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Very saddened indeed to hear that. Never actually met Hayden, but seen him on a couple of occasions. The last time was a number of years ago at Inverin when he was pre flighting an Islander for a service flight to the Islands.
As Micheal mentioned, Hayden's book "In Galway Skies" is an absolute must for anyone interested in Irish aviation history and in particular in and around Galway and the islands.
Over the last number of years he generiously sent me photos and data for inclusion on my database. Even letting me know about some errors he noticed.
My sincere condolence's to his relations and his many, many friends.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Y
Last edited by JFH on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:28 pm

I had a text and call from Michael Traynor this afternoon advising me of Hayden's untimely passing. All the old hands at Coonagh are in shock at this very sad news. Our CFI Brendan Beegan and another founding member of Limerick Flying Club (Foncy Hobbins) were both taught to fly by Hayden.

I had my first flight in a light aircraft in April 1971 (at age 16) with Hayden for a fifteen minute flip at Coonagh in Champion Citabria EI-ANT.

In recent years I have had regular contact with Hayden through FII forum, emails and indeed during his regular visits to Coonagh for our annual Fly-in and BBQ.

Thank you Hayden for introducing me to the joy of flight. May you Rest in Peace.
Shrtfld

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:35 pm

We never met but we were in touch via PM. He suggested we meet up for 'a pint and chinwag' when next he was back in Salthill. That will never happen now.

Very sad to see this news.

RIP.

FH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FH » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:40 pm

I am deeply saddened to hear the ews about Hayden Lawford, chatting about him as i drove thru Galway on saturday. I first took to the air in 1966 in Champion Citabria EI-ANT with Hayden as my instructor. I worked with him at Shannon Flying Services at Coonagh and he was always a friend and as already said a 'gentle giant' an also a fine pilot.
I will miss him as will so many more and I cherish the lessons he gave me even though I'm sure he felytlike giving up on me as I often left the Champ go on landing.
May he rest in peace.
Any details of funeral arangements?
Foncy Hobbins.
Limerick Flying Club

dp_burke
Verified User
Verified User

Post by dp_burke » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Hayden contacted me only two months ago about his excellent research into the crash of Mosquito KA317 in Galway.

Very sorry too hear this news, this was my only contact with Hayden and he was extremely generous with his information.

My condolences to all his family and friends.

Dennis
Dublin, Sligo
http://www.skynet.ie/~dan/war/introduction.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Traynor
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Michael Traynor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Hayden's funeral service will be held at Tunbridge Wells crematoriumin Sussex on Thursday, 21 June 2012 at 11:30AM. A notice about his death will appear in The Irish Times tomorrow (Thursday, 14 June 2012).

If anyone wishes to send a message to the family they can address their correspondence to Evelyn McGarry, 23 Dalysfort Road, Salthill, Galway.

The results of the Post Mortem are not yet available.

Michael.
IONA

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi all
never met him but heard lots of good about him.RIP
Stovepipe

m a conneely
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by m a conneely » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 am

I am very saddened to learn of Hayden's death. One of Nature's gentlemen he was always ready to lend a guiding hand to this would-be author. He was a mine of aviation history and information. I had the honour to work with him on an aviation archaeology project. He was patient, kind and ready to be excited by any find we might make. He introduced me to to a facinating branch of archaeology and to him I shall always be grateful. My condolence to Evelyn and his family. A real legend his deeds are truly written on the panorama of the skies.

M A Conneely