Flying in Australia
  • amish
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Flying in Australia

by amish » Tue May 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Are there any Paddys on this forum who are living and flying in auz or have experience of it ?
    I am flying out to australia for the month of august and I would like to do some flying while I am out there and I want to find out as much as I can about the licence and renting aircraft situation if anyone has any experience to share ?
    I dont have an auzzy licence but mine is ICAO so mabey its easy enough or is it the opposite to use!
    I am looking to self fly hire something like a R44 or a standard single engine piston land plane in the Sydney area.
  • holyflyer
    Verified User
    Verified User

Re: Flying in Australia

by holyflyer » Wed May 16, 2012 4:50 pm

Amish - I went out to Perth for a few weeks last year. You need to plow your way through the security documents and how to get them :
    http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... c=PC_90101

If you've left yourself enough time then aircraft rental is a possibility after checkout with the relevant security clearances. If time is limited then the work around is to take an instructor - which is what I did. No security cards needed, though you can't go to the big airports.

The Oz aviation security checks are among the toughest in the world and leave the yanks in the shade.

Rules and R/T takes a morning to get used too. You only call the last three letters of the reg. That is, not the VH. But as I found in Perth there were several female Irish ATC's who were very patient when you didn't get it quite right.