Aran Islands

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

bull
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Aran Islands

Post by bull » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:34 pm

ive asked a barrister about this in his opinion there s nothing they can do to STOP you as theres no other runway on the island you have the right to travel around ireland and its islands they ll have to issue proceedings against you then the next pilot and so on that il cost money if they want to stop you just ignore them if everyone visits the islands regularly with the same attitude they ll soon get fed up the locals will make a few quid on lunches etc they ll back the tourists when they re turn over is increasing

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:50 am

Because of this nonscence we havent visited the islands during 2012 at all, first year since I began flying years ago, the Islands were a regular overnight stop for our group every year but this year we went north... so far Islay in Scotland as well as Jura and Glenforsa for overnighter trips. Still plenty of places to go folks, just so happens it wont be the Aran islands.
And by the way the IAA cannot suspend any licence when isn't issued by them ! :lol:

Rudy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Rudy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:13 am

And by the way the IAA cannot suspend any licence when isn't issued by them !

Correct. They can,however, prohibit you from flying in Irish Airspace :-(
Rudy

Aidoair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Aidoair » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:50 pm

In an 'N' reg craft on an FAA licence , i,m basically a " DRONE " , I think i,m ligit to fly VFR in an N reg on my FAA licence , not that I will be going to the Islands but more just flying in the west with my Nflightcam shooting videos ? fill me in on the paperwork side of VFR on a USA licence in Irish airspace ?

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Rudy wrote: Correct. They can,however, prohibit you from flying in Irish Airspace :-(
They can try, but it will be a court of law that can try and "prohobit" anyone doing anything and not some overpaid/under-worked muppet.

Rudy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Rudy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:45 am

Jon,
Check your PM'splease.
Rudy

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks Rudy, received.

Jon

DB Cooper
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DB Cooper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 pm

I overnighted on Inis mor last weekend and Aer Arann could not of been more helpful. No problem landing only asked for 3 hours PPR and ten euro. There was no fuss and no problem with overnight parking. I will be back that's for sure

Tolka
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tolka » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:00 pm

I flew to Inis Mor recently. I requested PPR by email (albeit 2 days in advance) and had a speedy response granting permission. I made contact on 123.00 and received an immediate reply so I was able to land in accordance with the requirements set out in the AIP. On landing I paid the €10 landing fee and was asked what time I planned leaving at. I said that I intended to leave at 16.50 (local). This was because the AIP states that the airport opening hours are from 9.00 to 17.00 in summer. The person I was speaking to said that two other visiting aircraft that were already parked on the grass were leaving at 16.15 and that the airport staff planned to go home shortly thereafter and that I should leave at the same time.

This was very disappointing. Having a published closing time of 17.00 in summer is very restrictive but having to leave 45 minutes earlier is crazy.